• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - Travel Tips, Uzes!

Pauline

Forums Admin
A lovely short article in today's Observer (UK) recommending my current favorite French town, Uzes in the Languedoc, next door to Provence.

The Observer - Travel tips: holidays in Languedoc and this week's best breaks at home and away
The medieval town of Uzès, lambing season in Cumbria and a tour of Norway, March 23, 2014

From the article: "This is the stuff "escape to France" fantasies are made of: a sun-drenched medieval town with meandering streets, a castle, a cathedral and, at its heart, the lovely Place aux Herbes with its fountains, arcades and cafés."

They recommend the restaurant L'Artemise, a 16th-century converted farmhouse on the outskirts of town, where our member Parigi had dinner last night (she posted about it on Facebook).

We will be in Uzes for a week at the end of May. This will be our third time staying there. Something about the place has hooked me. And there are interesting vacation rentals to choose from.

The article recommends these vacation rentals on an estate 8km from town, but I like staying in town.

uzes-france-4527.jpg

Place aux Herbes in Uzes.

A lovely short article in today's Observer (UK) recommending my current favorite French town, Uzes in the Languedoc, next door to Provence.

The Observer - Travel tips: holidays in Languedoc and this week's best breaks at home and away
The medieval town of Uzès, lambing season in Cumbria and a tour of Norway, March 23, 2014

From the article: "This is the stuff "escape to France" fantasies are made of: a sun-drenched medieval town with meandering streets, a castle, a cathedral and, at its heart, the lovely Place aux Herbes with its fountains, arcades and cafés."

They recommend the restaurant L'Artemise, a 16th-century converted farmhouse on the outskirts of town, where our member Parigi had dinner last night (she posted about it on Facebook).

We will be in Uzes for a week at the end of May. This will be our third time staying there. Something about the place has hooked me. And there are interesting vacation rentals to choose from.

The article recommends these vacation rentals on an estate 8km from town, but I like staying in town.

View attachment 217

Place aux Herbes in Uzes.

Pauline,
Uzes sounds lovely. I'm dding it to my list of possible places to visit while we're in Oxford. How do you get there? Via Montpelier? Marseilles? It looks like Nimes the closest airport doesn't have that many airlines flying in. I looked at various accommodations on the usual sites. Yummy!

Hi Lisa, from England you can fly to Marseilles or take the train to Avignon. We are flying on BA from Heathrow to Marseilles (and went that way last year too). I almost booked us on the train this time, but ended up flying again because the price was the same.

BA has many flights out of Heathrow. The discount airline Easyjet uses Gatwick. Or have a look at Stansted - it might be close from Oxford. You can get a train from Oxford to either Heathrow or Gatwick (I think I posted about this in another thread).

If taking the train, book on the www.eurostar.com website. For Avignon there are 2 or 3 trains a day that change in Lille instead of in Paris - which makes the trip easier. If you change in Paris, you have to take the metro from one train station to another - to change from the Eurostar from England to the TGV.

Europe will be very close for you when you are living in Oxford. You could do a few easy trips.

Hi Lisa, from England you can fly to Marseilles or take the train to Avignon. We are flying on BA from Heathrow to Marseilles (and went that way last year too). I almost booked us on the train this time, but ended up flying again because the price was the same.

BA has many flights out of Heathrow. The discount airline Easyjet uses Gatwick. Or have a look at Stansted - it might be close from Oxford. You can get a train from Oxford to either Heathrow or Gatwick (I think I posted about this in another thread).

If taking the train, book on the www.eurostar.com website. For Avignon there are 2 or 3 trains a day that change in Lille instead of in Paris - which makes the trip easier. If you change in Paris, you have to take the metro from one train station to another - to change from the Eurostar from England to the TGV.

Europe will be very close for you when you are living in Oxford. You could do a few easy trips.
Thanks Pauline,
Getting pretty excited but still have a ways to go. I think we're going to go to Lisbon and then one other place. I hadn't thought of Uzes until I read your site and then Parigi on ST. I would go back to Nice for a week at the end but Ron wants a new experience. I've been toying with many possibilites. I don't want to travel away from the UK too many times as want the experience of living there and of course, we will be paying rent while there. But I know it can get pretty dreary Nov/ Dec. I like the idea of a French town. Uzes sounds lovely and as we've both seen some pretty wonderful lodgings.

Here's another vote for Uzes. We spent a couple of weeks near there back in 2011, in this rental in St.-Siffret, and fell in love with the town. In fact, I'd almost say that it's the perfect French town!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina