• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Heading home from Friulia Venetian Giulia

Michele, We have a 32 night trip planned for November/December this year. We're spending the first week in Venice (third visit, but the first time for more than a few nights) and we'll be flying home from Budapest.

I realize the weather may not be great but we always travel at this time of year and are often very pleasantly surprised.

We're planning to spend time in both Udine and Trieste before heading to Slovenia. I was thinking of 2-3 nights in Udine and 5-7 in Trieste. Did you base yourself in more than one location? I'd love to hear your opinion on these places. We're interested in art and ambiance--we love walking. I've read quite a bit about Trieste and it sounds fantastic. We won't have a car so will be travelling by train and bus.

Michele, We have a 32 night trip planned for November/December this year. We're spending the first week in Venice (third visit, but the first time for more than a few nights) and we'll be flying home from Budapest.

I realize the weather may not be great but we always travel at this time of year and are often very pleasantly surprised.

We're planning to spend time in both Udine and Trieste before heading to Slovenia. I was thinking of 2-3 nights in Udine and 5-7 in Trieste. Did you base yourself in more than one location? I'd love to hear your opinion on these places. We're interested in art and ambiance--we love walking. I've read quite a bit about Trieste and it sounds fantastic. We won't have a car so will be travelling by train and bus.
your plans sound perfect. We used Udine as a base for 4 days— too long.. 2-3 better. We visited San Daniele and Aquila— highly recommend both. Bus to both— we didn’t have a car.

Let me know about Venice in early winter. I’ve heard it’s almost tourist free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Michele. Would love to hear accomodation recommendations for this trip as we hope to do something similar.
Trieste: Hilton e Tree on Piazza Republicca— fabulous in every way, location, building, staff

Udine: Alberto del Tram.. lovely spot on a quiet street. Great location, good breakfast, helpful staff, nice patio In good weather. It’s popular and books quickly

Thanks Michele. We'll probably just spend a weekend in Udine--that works well with everything else.

Our first trip to Venice was early December (or maybe late November, I don't remember) and we loved it. We stayed in the Ca San Giorgio and almost had the place to ourselves. The weather was grey but not rainy and, of course, in Venice grey weather just adds to the atmosphere. We had mild acqua alta one day--I loved hearing the siren. Venice itself wasn't that crowded but we didn't do any of the big attractions--we loved it so much we just wandered (and we had the Chorus church pass so we went into a lot of churches). I'll report back about our upcoming visit. I'm assuming it will be busier.

Many thanks
Restaurant recommendation on Udine: Antica Maddelena. Upscale but not overly so, excellent food, local

We loved it.. ate there twice .. beautiful flower arrangements, too

Udine:Also Ristorante al lepre. Casual.. kind of a wine bar meets restaurant. Very good— local, too

We became regulars at Bar Ginger , too. Hopping little spot for a drink

We LOVED Trieste and stayed 5 nights at the Double Tree Hilton…great location on Piazza Republicca in a beautifully restored Palazzo.

I wish we had split our time between Milan and Trieste and skipped Udine, too small, and Gorizia..

Trieste is very diverse, small but active Jewish population..the synagogue is gorgeous and there are tours. There’s a wonderful Serbian- Orthodox church as well as a Greek one. Several large piazzas with fountains that face the Adriatic, wide boulevards that reflect the Austro- Hungarian years , the statue of James Joyce is a nice touch too and a cool old section of the city.
When we were there one of the museums had an incredible Van Gogh exhibit from a smaller private museum in The Netherlands. There’s also a museum of Theatrical Arts, Shindl Collection?, costumes, marionettes etc
Lots going on..

Don’t miss a cocktail or coffee at the Sacher Cafe…swanky with a capital S.

For a sobering afternoon, the Rispiria San Abba , spelling off, concentration camp, the only one in Italy, is moving and well presented. The number 10 bus takes you right there.

Oh and Miramare Castle and gardens…beautiful

Biggest Plus: NO Tourists…

So, don’t tell anyone as you will love it.

Just roaming through posts, so apologies for jumping in to question directed to Michele. Don't have a hotel to recommend in Trieste, but some comments on a short stay. Castello San Giusto had a a nice film on the Roman origins of Trieste. Helped add to the enjoyment of the ruins of the Roman forum and theater and the mosaics, funerary monuments, and statues in the lapidary museum.

We had an issue with parking at the hotel (no street parking and garage was an attendant-only nightmare), so we took the bus to Miramare Castle. The castle was well worth the visit, but the bus service was a challenge -- turned out the stop labeled "Miramare Castle" just meant, "Well, you're somewhere close, but start walking".

We found a street fair and a small neighborhood restaurant to eat at, so no real food recommendations either.

For WW I history buffs, Redipuglia and about 40 minutes away.

Thanks Michele--That's exactly what I was hoping to hear as we're planning at least 5 nights.

Let me add a different thought. We were there two days and found that to be plenty. Visited Castello San Giusto, Museo di Storia d'Arte, Museo del Mare, Teatro Romano, Basilica San Giusto, and Miramare plus wandering around at the above-mentioned street fair and along the waterfront architecture.

If spending 5 days, I'd consider a trip to Ljubljana and Lake Bled to fill one of your days.

Thanks Alpinista, That’s something to consider. But since we have the luxury of time on this trip and the days will be short, I want a few longer stays. We’ll be in apartments and that always seems to eat up quite a bit of time.

I am planning a couple of nights in Ljubljana en route to Salzburg but I don’t know if the weather will make it worthwhile going to Lake Bled. But, of course, that’s unpredictable.

These decisions make me crazy!

L
Thanks Alpinista, That’s something to consider. But since we have the luxury of time on this trip and the days will be short, I want a few longer stays. We’ll be in apartments and that always seems to eat up quite a bit of time.

I am planning a couple of nights in Ljubljana en route to Salzburg but I don’t know if the weather will make it worthwhile going to Lake Bled. But, of course, that’s unpredictable.

These decisions make me crazy!
Ljubljana has a small old town area surrounded by a modern city. It was very pleasant to walk the old town, enjoy the architecture and scenery, and do a little nighttime champagne cruise on the river, but, as you note, weather could determine how much outside time would be open to you. I think it was about a 10 walk from our hotel to any point in the old town.

Funny the things that stay in your memory, but I am reminded that our hotel, the Vander Ubani, served the best eggs I have ever had . Am sure the olive oil they cooked them in must have come from heaven,

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina