• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lake Bracciano

Jeanne W.

10+ Posts
We have 5 nights after our 2 week stay in Montalcino/Buonconvento area before our flight home from FCO. Being a newbie at stand up paddle boarding and interested in revisiting the Etruscan and volcanic areas of Lazio I thought some time on Lake Bracciano at Trevignano Romano might be interesting. Looking at some places on a commercial web site but would like some input from anyone who has stayed there. My main concern would be to book a place that looks lovely and tranquil on the lake only to find that the town is noisy and mobbed with holiday makers in mid June.
Thanks,
Jeanne

My husband and I visited the town of Bracciano as a day trip from Rome last year. The town was charming, with incredible views of the very pretty Lake Bracciano. I can imagine the area would be marvellous in June! Unfortunately though, I can't offer any input regarding summer crowd levels because we were there in January.

Bracciano (the town) was cram packed last year as early as May. Literally took 40 minutes to drive 1/2 a mile.

Montefiascone is lovely and has the best white wines in Italy if not the whole of Europe. Sophia Hawthorne (wife of Nathaniel Hawthorne) stated it was like drinking diamonds.

If you want Etruscan the grave sites at Tarquinia are the ultimate destination. The Etruscan museum in town is world class. Tarquinia is on the sea with a gorgeous black sand beach. The sea there has been smooth as glass when we visited (multiple day trips over 9 months) so you could continue paddle board.

Also in the area is Montepulciano a Tufa town that goes back to Etruscan times.

Bracciano (the town) was cram packed last year as early as May. Literally took 40 minutes to drive 1/2 a mile

Good to know. Do you remember if it was a weekend or weekday that you were there? I'm wondering if Trevignano Romano will be as crowded and more importantly if we would have to allow extra time to get to FCO for our flight home. Thanks for the input.
Jeanne

I think it was a Sunday. We had a terrible GPS (Tom Tom) took us all over kingdom come. If you are flying on a weekend trevignano can run 2 plus hours intk Rome if you are going with the traffic. Also rental car return at either Rome airport is a horror with ciampino signage being the worst. Only airport worse than the 2 Rome ones is Florence. Construction that has a decade. Rome wasn't built in a day but Firenze airport and roadworks are headed for a 1/2 century. There are parts in the new construction the rebar has rusted.

Thanks for the details! We'll be catching a Monday morning 11:00 AM flight at FCO & I'm wondering if the traffic would be even worse then. Last thing I want is high anxiety about our last day. Years ago we drove from Orvieto to FCO in morning commuter traffic in a rental car that was overheating. Had to keep the heater on full blast to make it to the airport. I'm wondering if I should give up the paddle boarding idea and focus things uniquely Italian. We had stayed in Tolfa once but have never been to the other side of Rome (Castel Gandolfo, Frascati, Tivoli, etc.) Maybe I'll open a new thread when I have time.
Mille grazie

Yes, traffic from Orvieto would be a nightmare unless you plan on leaving at 4 am. Staying in Tivoli is amazing but a good solid 2 hours by bus and metro to Gran Termini, the majority of that time will be on the cassia.

An option since you have 5 days is lake Bolsena which is a gorgeous lake with a large island. It is the largest volcanic lake in Italy with a circumference of 43 kilometers. Cities on or overlooking the lake are Bolsena, Marta and Montefiascone. There is a course on sailing in Marta.

Pick up a car in either Orvieto or Viterbo and return the morning of the flight to that point then take the train to termini and transfer to the FCO train or the bus. Let train schedules be your guide as to where you get your car. I think the difference in price is less than euro.
There is a 6 am viterbo train that gets you to Termini at 818. Figure another 45 minutes on the train to the airport gets you there at 9. 2 hour arrival for international departures.

There is a more direct train from Orvieto leaves at 730 arrives 830.

Btw there are trains from both towns to Tivoli. Good idea because parking is hellish in Tivoli.

I've stayed in Anguillara Sabazia a few times and really like it. I personally prefer Lake Bracciano to Lake Bolsena. Anguillara has a nice old town and pretty lakefront promenade, some good restaurants. It is more crowded on weekends when Romans go up to the lakes.

Dear Valarie and Rome Addict, Thank you both for your input. I fell in love with this property in Trevignano Romano and booked it yesterday.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1039815

It comes with a kayak, 2 bicycles and the owner has connections with a boat club with paddle board rentals. The stairs won't be a problem, not much different from where we live now. We will check out Anguillara Sabazia while we are there and report back about our Lake Bracciano experience.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina