• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Campania & Amalfi Coast Positano (Amalfi Coast) - 2bed/2bath house with large terrace

Pauline

Forums Admin
Summer in Italy - Villa Eunice
House in Positano (Amalfi Coast)
2 bed/2 bath - with extra space to sleep at least 2 more, plus a downstairs powder room
May 2016, 2 weeks

We loved this house! We stayed in it with another couple for the first week and it worked very well for two couples. The terrace was beautiful and we spent as much time out there as possible.

Location: The Amalfi Coast road runs along the top of Positano, and continues on to Amalfi. There is one road from the coast road that goes through Positano (one way) and joins the coast road at the other side of Positano. The thing to know about Positano is that it is built up the side of a steep mountain. The road winds its way down the hillside, almost to the beach, then back up the other side. There are lanes all over the town, most consisting of stairs, to get you around. This steep hillside gives you fabulous views from many spots, but means you are walking up and down stairs to get anywhere in town.

The House: The back of the house is on the Positano road, a long block down from the coast road. The front looks out over the town to the sea. The terrace is large and wraps around the front and side of the house. There is a second smaller terrace off the top level. The house is large, with two living rooms, a small but good kitchen, two inside dining areas, a powder room off the entry way. The ceilings are high and coved. Up a flight of stairs to the bedrooms. High, coved ceilings here too. One bedroom has windows on two sides with magnificent views - even better than from the terrace. You can see the beach in Positano. The other bedroom has a small extra room where 2 can sleep on fold out sofas, an ensuite shower room and the smaller terrace. Great views from the terrace.

The house worked well for two couples - each had a good sized bedroom and shower room.

The house was comfortably and nicely furnished. The kitchen had everything we needed. Pretty tiled floors throughout. The terrace has a large table - we had lunch for six once and there was room for more - and other furniture.

Stephania who looks after the house gave us a very good introduction to the house and area. I could text or message her with questions. She gave us fresh sheets and towels after the first week and did a cleaning.

There is a parking garage in the house that you access from the Positano road. The door is a bit narrow, but we were able to get in and out with a Toyota Auris. You have to remove a post on the sidewalk and hold open the garage doors to get in and out.

We booked through Summer in Italy who were very good to work with. I asked lots of questions and they answered them all (I was concerned about the parking). They helped me choose the villa.

Positano: Most of the hotels, restaurants and shops are at the lower level of Positano. A small bus runs every 30 minutes (runs late into the night) around the town, so you can walk down to the center and then take the bus back to the top. (Tickets are 1.30Euro - if I remember right - and can be purchased in Tabacco shops, or on board for a bit more.)

It took 15mins to walk down to the center of town. The first time we walked back up (wow!) and after that we took the bus.

The house is a block from a very good shop (alimentari) on the coast road beside Bar Internationale. Even though Positano is a tourist town, Italian tourists, Europeans and all the rest of us, this part of town did not feel touristy - busy, but with lots of locals as well as visitors. Giovanni who runs the grocery shop introduced himself to us and welcomed us on our first visit. I saw him do this with other tourists also. His shop has everything that you need - really! I found tofu, brown rice, vegetarian cutlets! We shopped there almost every day. Good cheeses and meats, good vegetables, basic household things.

Bar Internationale is a good place for morning coffee and cornetto or early evening appertivi.

We loved staying in Positano. The town is strikingly beautiful, as is the whole area. The first week we did some touring about with our friends. The coast road is difficult to drive (we even got into a small accident - no one hurt), but the Amalfi bus is not great either (crowded and you don't always get a seat). We did not take the ferry between towns, but wanted to. It was closed because of rough water the days we wanted to use it. So for getting to Sorrento or Amalfi, or other places - you just have to realize that transportation is difficult. Getting around Positano is easy though.

We did some fabulous hikes, right from Positano and some from Amalfi. We enjoyed a few meals out too. Read more about our trip on my Trip Report.

PHOTOS

View from the terrace looking towards Praiano.

positano-villa-eunice-2653.jpg

View from the terrace looking back to the mountain top.

positano-villa-eunice-2817.jpg

From the beach in Positano, looking up at the town. Villa Eunice is on the top level, the yellow building right of the white hotel on top.

positano-villa-eunice-2947.jpg

Where the coast road meets the Positano road. This is a very good grocery shop. The stairs to the right of it take you to the upper town and then onto trails up the mountain. Bar Internationale is to the right of the stairs. There is a tabacco shop (to get bus tickets, or get them at the bar) and a fruit and vegetable shop. Also the post office and a bank machine. And lots of traffic.

positano-villa-eunice-2917.jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina