• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

To Duty Free or Not Duty Free

NoSpin

100+ Posts
I’m just curious what others experience with these duty free shops. Many years ago I bought some high end rum to bring back to the US that I thought was a good price. Later when I got home and looked at the prices in a local liquor store, they were virtually the same. I lugged those 6 bottles for nothing.

Over the years now as I pass through the duty free shops to the gate (you notice that there is no way to get to your gate without passing through them), I glance at prices for liquor where I know their price in the US. Most times the price is equal or even more than US prices, rarely cheaper,and not by much

Now my wife has purchased some colognes (Neiges), and a bug lotion (Alfresco), where they are not available in the US. Other than items you may not be able to buy in the US, has anyone found items in duty free that are cheaper than what you would buy in the US? Enquiring minds want to know!

Averna liquor in Venice's Marco Polo duty free - 1 liter bottle much less than I've found it in the Boston area (or NH state liquor store). If my carry on isn't full/heavy heading home I'll pick one up.

Averna ,I've never tasted that liqeur. I looked it up and saw that it is very sweet, but with a bittersweet taste. I love sweet, but with the bittersweet, I'm not sure if that is something I would like.

At least if I get it at the duty free shop I know I'm getting a deal! :)

definitely research or know your prices.

Often these days, especially passing through lower cost locations, it's cheaper outside the airport than the supposedly 'duty free', and at times shockingly so. There are sometimes bargains in duty-free, but the range is often supremely dull.

In times gone by, small/tiny airports might have a non-franchise duty free shop, and they often used to have some interesting stuff, often keenly priced. It's been a while since we've been through one of them.

So on the whole, they're not much interest these days... except, where it proves to be convenient to get it there and put it into the carry on, and that can include stuff that is delicate, as it's easier to avoid crushing if it's sat on you lap/fold down table, or in a small bag at your feet on the plane.

it's cheaper outside the airport than the supposedly 'duty free', and at times shockingly so
This is true. I'll pick up at the airport mostly out of convenience of not having to carry lug it around a lot - just on to the plane and when heading from Venice to Boston the inevitable transfer as there are no direct flights.

it's cheaper outside the airport than the supposedly 'duty free', and at times shockingly so.
True - but if its liquid you won't be able to get it past security to carry it on - if that's how you want to get it home. Just an observation from someone who has never bought anything in a duty-free shop.

True - but if its liquid you won't be able to get it past security to carry it on - if that's how you want to get it home. Just an observation from someone who has never bought anything in a duty-free shop.
yes, I've certainly used duty free to that effect, from memory with some Barolo Chinato, where the other concern about the bright lights and warmth (damaging the wine) is strongly mitigated by Barolo chinato being near indestructible:hilarious:

we have a couple of standard items we purchase at duty free shops, but only if our first landing in the US is our final destination: Campari (both in Europe and in the Caribbean), and parmigiano reggiano in Italy (which can be packed in carry on). in a couple of weeks we'll be in the Caribbean, where we'll be carry-on only and our flight back connects in Miami, so no bringing back alcohol from the Islands, however if we have enough time at MIA after clearing immigration and customs, we'll check out the duty free shops in the terminal on the way to our connecting flight.

fortunately, we'll be flying nonstop from Milan to JFK in May, so we can stock up on our favorites.

Averna is an amaro that's kind of medicinal and delicious, but we prefer Montenegro. they're great to sip after dinner as a digestif, and also make a fantastic substitute for vermouth in a Manhattan.

I don't look too closely, as we don't drink much at all at home to warrant researching prices.
All I do is visit the washroom before I go through a Duty Free shop, to have my hands clean, then I go through the shop and use the sample hand cream or lotion of an expensive brand I couldn't afford at home! ;)
I don't like the fact that in most airports now, if not all, you have to walk through a shop to get to the gate area.

Averna is an amaro that's kind of medicinal and delicious, but we prefer Montenegro. they're great to sip after dinner as a digestif, and also make a fantastic substitute for vermouth in a Manhattan.
The Manhattan is my drink of choice in the winter months. I will have to try that.

In December, 2022, we dined at an old restaurant (St. Peter) in Salzburg, . Their Manhattan tasted so good I asked the bartender what he used. His secret was to add some Grand Marnier to the mix. So now I have been doing that at home.

I don't like the fact that in most airports now, if not all, you have to walk through a shop to get to the gate area.
Among our group of travelers we joke about whenever you go to any exhibit, museum, or show, etc., you always have to go through the gift shop to get out! :D

I’m just curious what others experience with these duty free shops. Many years ago I bought some high end rum to bring back to the US that I thought was a good price. Later when I got home and looked at the prices in a local liquor store, they were virtually the same. I lugged those 6 bottles for nothing.

Over the years now as I pass through the duty free shops to the gate (you notice that there is no way to get to your gate without passing through them), I glance at prices for liquor where I know their price in the US. Most times the price is equal or even more than US prices, rarely cheaper,and not by much

Now my wife has purchased some colognes (Neiges), and a bug lotion (Alfresco), where they are not available in the US. Other than items you may not be able to buy in the US, has anyone found items in duty free that are cheaper than what you would buy in the US? Enquiring minds want to know!
In the few times I remembered to compare prices between airport dutyfree retailers and regular retailers in town, I saw no price benefit to shop in airport dufrees.

remember that film "Exit Through the Gift Shop"? now I'm going to have to find it and re-watch.....

ooh, I love the idea of Grand Marnier in a Manhattan, will have to try it.

As an aside, when looking for perfumes, whilst we might test samples in duty free, as much to pass the time, we much preferred buying them from ordinary shops in Italy, and invariably they'd also throw in a good handful of testers. All-round, just a better experience.

I have bought digestivi a few times at FCO when heading to the US as my checked luggage was full and I could still get a bottle to share with family/friends. My checked luggage is usually heavy enough with a couple bottles of wine and hard cheeses ;).

As an aside, when looking for perfumes, whilst we might test samples in duty free, as much to pass the time, we much preferred buying them from ordinary shops in Italy, and invariably they'd also throw in a good handful of testers. All-round, just a better experience.
Yes! Last time in Venice my wife bought two expensive perfumes in a small out of the way shop and they gave her several small bottles of samples.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina