• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Miscellaneous United Kingdom, Britain, Great Britain - What's What?

The United Kingdom, Britain, Great Britain - what do you call that cluster of islands to the left of northern Europe?

The United Kingdom (UK), full name "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", is one sovereign country made up of four constituent countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The British Isles is a group of islands consisting of the islands of Ireland and Great Britain and their outlying islands. The countries of Ireland and the United Kingdom are in the British Isles.

Great Britain (GB) and Britain are commonly used to refer to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or the island of Great Britain. Technically these terms refer to the island in the United Kingdom that contains England, Wales, Scotland.

The island of Ireland contains the country of Ireland and the country of Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom. The country of Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom.

Wikipedia - Terminology of the British Isles: This article explains this all in more depth.
About the Author
This article was originally published on Cotswolder.
First release
Last update
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Pauline

Share this resource