• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2-4-1 Discounts w/Travel Passes

mactoolsix

10+ Posts
I've read so much about this that my head is spinning. As I understand this (please correct me):

We print 2-4-1 vouchers (one for each 2 people) for each attraction (which I have done).
We need to have tickets showing arrival at a close station and a departure date. I assume round trip train tickets in to and out of Victoria Station to LGW will work?
At the Victoria station we will purchase a paper travel card for each person. Can we use 1-day travel cards, or do we need 7 day any-time cards (we will be in London for six days).
We then present the 2-4-1 printed voucher, the travel card and an ID to enter the attraction.

We will purchase Oyster cards to cover subways, buses and trains.
Thanks in advance for you assistance!!

If you have a Gatwick to Victoria return ticket covering the dates on which you will use the 2for1 vouchers, that should qualify for the 2for1 offers.

Is My Ticket Valid?

You therefore don't need the paper travelcard as well as your GTW-VIC return.

You certainly don't need both a paper travelcard and an Oystercard (or vice versa). The travelcard is a "value" available either on paper from the National Rail companies, or you can pay Transport for London for one and load it on to an Oystercard.

For six days, it might work out cheaper to have a 7-day travelcard (whether on paper or on the Oystercard) than to put pay-as-you-go money on to the Oystercard, but much depends on your likely pattern of travel.

With a travelcard for zones 1 and 2 you would need to have some extra PAYG money on an Oystercard if you're likely to travel into outer zones. Conversely, if you don't make much use of the travelcard, or have a day or two using only buses, you might not be getting the full value of the travelcard, whereas the Oyster computer will cap what it takes from any PAYG money you have loaded on to the card at the best deal for your pattern of travel that day - and of course any unused PAYG money can be reclaimed or left on the card for your next visit. But if you're going to use several modes of travel each day, the travelcard might well work out the better value.

On the other hand it's unlikely that there'd be a very great difference in it. You can play around with the TfL fares tables and work out the alternatives on a spreadsheet, but life's too short to sweat all the details.

Map of London zones for tube and rail services

Map of key bus routes in central London in relation to main attractions

Patrick,
Thank you for the reply.
As I now understand it, the travelcard is an alternative to having railway tickets.
Since each of us will have inbound and outbound rail tickets (to & from Gatwick), and an Oyster Card each, we won't need travelcards at all.
If true that will save us about 40 euro each.
Thanks for taking the time!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina