• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2 weeks in Montalcino

I don't know how segmented Montalcino's vineyards are, but the Langhe vineyards (Barolo, Barbaresco and surrounding villages) are wonderfully segmented. The practical result of this, is they are open to walk through, as so many growers need access. The walking is wonderful and if there are similar walking opportunities in Montalcino, then I'd suggest that as something to do:
- After a morning wine tasting and as a way to build up an appetite for lunch (and to get the alcohol intake from the tasting out the system)
- After a lunch, to walk the effects of food and alcohol off (the latter so the designated driver can enjoy some wine)
- Heck, just make a day of it, with a good picnic, perhaps a half bottle of wine or some local fruit juice and mineral water.

Val d'Orcia and the gardens at La Foce. Think only open Wednesdays and weekends, but check for times. Take the time to read "The War in Val d'Orcia" by Iris Origo to be able to enjoy the connection of knowing the past owner as you walk her gardens.

A few more suggestions: San Galgano, Bagno Vignoni, Abbadia San Salvatore, Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore.

Val d'Orcia and the gardens at La Foce. Think only open Wednesdays and weekends, but check for times. Take the time to read "The War in Val d'Orcia" by Iris Origo to be able to enjoy the connection of knowing the past owner as you walk her gardens.
I second reading the book. We always stay near this area, and drive the dirt road beside the grounds to other areas. Taking this road, also allows you to see the Origo Cemetery. I believe they now have it locked, which is a shame, but I do understand their reasons. You will read about the Castle nearby, and how the American troops stayed there, and did their laundry in the creek below. The Origo's hid many American troops in their woods during the War. This area is also near where you can see the twisty road, which is in almost every calendar. There is also a place to have a meal just past the house on the right. The restaurant was used as a place for the workers to eat way back when. The name is Dopo Lavoro, which means "After Work"

Last edited:
We loved visiting La Foce...we took the garden tour there in October 2011. During that Italy visit, we were staying for a week at Terre di Nano nearby.
We reserved the Belvedere Piccolo accommodation at La Foce for a week’s stay 2 years ago this month...sadly that trip was canceled due to Covid. We hope to finally return there this Fall if they still have availability when we are ready to book.
“War in the Val d’Orcia“ was a fascinating read! Her book, “Images and Shadows”, is also a good read.

A favorite town of ours is Castiglione del Lago, which is on a peninsula out in Lake Trasimeno with a palace and 13th century castle you can walk the walls. Another village, Cita de Pieve has some Perugino’s famous artwork in the church. And Chiusi has a good Etruscan Museum and 11th century church. Circle around Lake Trasimeno and visit the many villages like Panicali, Paciano, Passignano sul Trasemeno.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina