• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

7 Weeks in SW England/Wales

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Pauline has convinced me that 7 weeks in one place is not a good idea. Honestly, I was (and still am!) just lazy, not wanting to research additional areas and accommodations, but the reality is I just have to do it! To refresh:

• We will arrive in Southampton via a transatlantic cruise
  • We will spend 11 nights in Rottingdean, in Sussex
  • followed by 2 weeks just north of York, in Thirsk
  • After this we have 7 weeks until we depart for Ireland
Here are the possibilities for those 7 weeks:
  • at least 2 and as many as 4 weeks in Beaminster. I'm thinking I really want 4 weeks here, so that leaves 3 weeks to do one or 2 more places.
  • Cornwall, southern Wales, and London are the contenders. If we included London that might be our last stop, so that we could fly to Dublin from Gatwick. OR, if we go to Wales that might make it convenient to fly out of Bristol.

2 weeks Cornwall, one week Wales? Reverse? London? Help!

My vote goes to spending sometime in Wales. My family lives in southern Wales - Llanelli which is just outside Swansea. We were there last July and stayed 4-5 days in northern Wales at Wern Cottage in Capelulo near Conwy. Then we spent a week in another rental in St. Latham just west of Cardiff. I can highly recommend both places, if you should decide on Wales. Snowdonia National Park is beautiful, although our train ride this visit up to the top of Mt. Snowdon was cancelled due to weather. The Welsh castles are second to none. I can imagine that the walks would be wonderful, although we did not do any on this trip. I have heard the Pembrokshire area is stunning - we have never gone there, but will go on our next visit.
We had a fascinating day going down into the coal mine called Big Pit - the history of Welsh coal mining is so interesting. The Gower Penisula near Swansea is absolutely beautiful - I loved walking out to Worm's Head.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacatio...age-Conwy_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html

https://www.vrbo.com/8137542ha?utm_...term=20160103&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

Last edited:
Thank you! Many years ago we based in Llandudno, and visited Conwy, Caernarfon, Mt Snowdonia, Betws y Coed, etc. It was fabulous. except our train ride was NOT cancelled - and at the top we were completely socked in!!

This trip I'd prefer to stay in the southern half of Wales - was one week enough in St. Lythans, or would you have preferred more time?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed staying in St. Lythans (sorry, spell check changed it above) very much, but I think a week in this area would be fine. Right down the road from our house was Dyffryn Gardens and Mansion, where we spent an entire afternoon after my husband played golf in the morning. We spent one day driving out to the Gower and walking out to Worm's Head (not for the faint of heart!). Another day was the tour of Big Pit coal mine and a visit to Aberfan (the site of the coal tip disaster that killed over 100 elementary school children - very moving). Another day we visited St. Fagans Village, which chronicles the past 500 years of Welsh history - again, very interesting. We were very close to Cardiff so we went in several times - Cardiff Castle was very interesting, as was Cardiff Bay which is Europe's largest waterfront development. We also visited Caerphilly Castle which is magnificent! There are so many more castles in the area, if that is of interest to you.
You might want to think of spending the second week out in Pembrokeshire which is the western part of Wales - St. David's is a favorite of my Welsh family. They love the Cathedral there. As I have said, I have never been to the area, but my cousins often go for the walking trail which they rave about. Pembrokeshire contains a predominantly coastal park, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, which includes a 186-mile walking trail, the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. I also believe there are several really nice castles to visit - Pembroke Castle being one I think they mentioned.
I AM glad that our train ride up Mount Snowdon was cancelled! How annoying to spend all that time riding the train to see nothing when you get to the top!

Last edited:
Again, thank you! You given me so much valuable info and insight. Would we need to book two separate bases, or could this area be seen from one, central location for a 2 week period? From your post I get the feeling that 2 different locations might be needed, but I haven't looked at the maps yet. Of course sometimes looking at the map doesn't tell the whole story!

I would do two different locations. 1 week in the Cardiff area and 1 week in Pembrokeshire. Cardiff to St. David's in Pembrokeshire would be a good 2-3 hour drive. Another place in southern Wales that I have never visited is Brecon Beacons National Park - unfortunately, I cannot tell you what there is to see, but I bet it would be interesting. It looks to be about 1 hour north of Cardiff.

I haven't been to Wales recently but everyone I talk to loves the Gower peninsula and the Pembrokeshire coast.

That coast path now goes along the entire coast of Wales.

I think it's good you've changed your plans to stay in different areas rather than seven weeks in one place.

Our Offa's Dyke walk last summer went along the border of England and Wales, south to north. We spent a few nights in England but especially at the end, most nights were in Wales. There's some beautiful countryside!

Part of our walk passed through the Brecon Beacons. (We had been there for two days some years ago). Beautiful area and good walking! Hay in Wye is a really interesting town, especially if you like books.

We also liked Llangollen, which could be an interesting base for a week as well. Some of the walks there are along canal paths.

Thanks to all! I think we've decided against London - logistically it's just more difficult due to what I expect will be more-than-average luggage.

Maybe we can make Wales our first stop after leaving Yorkshire, stopping in Llangollen for a week, further south for a week, OR 2 (separate) weeks weeks in south Wales, then on to Cornwall for one week, ending in Dorset for 4 weeks. Sounding better?

Last edited:
Sounding much better. This is your chance to really explore England. The four weeks in Dorset will be enough time to settle in and we'll get you out on lots of walks.

I'm going through Pauline's VERY long list of rental agencies for Wales, and I'm wondering which areas to target. Pembrokeshire and Glamorgen? St. Lythans seems very close to Cardiff - is that a good thing or a bad thing? I wasn't sure if @Mom83 based here to be close to family, and if so, if it would still work for us. And editing to say that I'm going to need to narrow down my search areas quite a bit!

Also, should I look for rural locations, since 90% will probably be rural anyway?

Last edited:
I think focusing on one week somewhere in Glamorgen and 1 week in Pembrokeshire would be my preference if your goal is to see southern Wales.
I picked the house in St. Lythans for several reasons. I liked it's close proximity to Cardiff, it was an hour from my family in Llanelli, it was 30 minutes from Royal Porthcawl where my husband played golf one day, it was 20 minutes or so from Miskin where my cousin and her husband have a second home, and it was close to the M4 which made getting places by car relatively easy. St. Lythans is a tiny, tiny spot on a rural road with a pub within walking distance down the road, but it is close to a more urban area. We loved the property and it was perfect for our needs, but that area may not be what you are looking for.
If you decide to visit Wales, what type of location interests you?

Thanks for the details. We certainly plan to visit Cardiff, but we might not need to be as close as St Lythans, but until I figure out what we want to see and where it is on the map, it's hard for me to say. Obviously somewhere with good connecting roads, and for one week, we're less picky - the house can be a little smaller than we might want for 2+ weeks. For example THIS cottage would be fine, but perhaps it's too far from Cardiff - over an hour away.

I discovered that you just can't search "Pembrokeshire" or "Glamorgen" without being overwhelmed with choices, and all the areas/towns they list as sub-headings don't help me a bit - yet. I need to get more familiar with the area, but if you have any suggestions I welcome your expertise!

Last edited:
Oh, Barb - I wish I actually did have the expertise on Wales to guide you, but I have only visited twice and have seen a fairly limited part of the country. I can give you some suggestions based solely on the two places that I want to stay the next time we go.
1. Somewhere between Swansea and Cardiff down close to the coast. Or, possibly near Mumbles because I dearly love the name of that town. Swansea is in close proximity to the Gower.
2. Pembrokeshire - I have lots of towns I am looking at staying near...Tenby in the south, Little Haven, St. David's, Newport. Probably would be decided on where I find the right house/Cottage.
http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/explore-pembrokeshire/towns-and-villages/

The first trip anywhere always has such a steep learning curve! The spot on the map that looks like the perfect central location for seeing and doing what we want to see and do usually is NOT perfect at all! Mountains, busy roads, even construction can make our daily driving much more stressful.

The first trip anywhere always has such a steep learning curve! The spot on the map that looks like the perfect central location for seeing and doing what we want to see and do usually is NOT perfect at all! Mountains, busy roads, even construction can make our daily driving much more stressful.
This is so true!

How about THIS cottage for Pembrokeshire?

And THIS one for Glamorgen?
Pembrokeshire tin cottage looks cute with good reviews. Location is very central, which I like. No TV, which would be a negative for us. And no washing machine. Maybe a little too basic for my taste.
Bridgend cottage is also cute and seems to be in a good, central location. The slanted ceilings would not please my husband. Plus, no good picture of the lounge or bathroom. It says it has a tub...is there also a shower?
I am so picky about places...I spend forever looking which is not what you need to do when you have so many places to book. And as I said, I am so much pickier than most.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina