• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A huge thank you and a question or two.

misstravelbug

100+ Posts
Hi,

I thought I'd post my itinerary and see what you all think, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart with all of your wonderful advice on my previous threads.

We are off to Italy next Spring/Summer for 2 months. These are broken into two sections:
A family trip with DH, myself and our 2 children (aged 11 and 8) for a month, then the next month the children and myself meet up with my SIL, while DH flies back to Australia.

Rome 8 nights
Assisi 7 nights
Tuscany, val d'orcia (La Foce) 7 nights
Lastra a Signa 3 nights...at a b&b I have wanted to stay at for a long time; day trip to Pisa for kids
Santa Margherita Ligure 7 nights
Milan/Govone or near the airport for 1 night???

We will have a car and pick it up in Rome, drop off at Malpensa airport.

DH flies home.

kids and I travel to Verona 3 nights
meet SIL in Venice 7 nights
Florence 7 nights
Bologna 3 nights
Turin 7 nights
Milan 2 nights

We will not have a car for the second part and will rely on trains.

We have left out so many places, although I am focusing on bookmarking them for next time, rather than seeing them as left out...LOL

So I have two more questions for you please:

1. Would you keep the car for the entire time from Rome-Milan (first month)?
It is not much more to have it (around $300 more) and the apartment includes a parking space. The other option is to drop it off after Lastra a Signa in Florence and use trains from then on.

2. For our last night together (first month) I am undecided between staying in Milan, having one night in Govone Piedmont at a b&b/area I also wanted to stay at but couldn't fit in this trip, or are there any nice hotels around a 30 minute drive from MXP?

Most of the accommodation is booked now (but cancellable), with the exception of the Milan parts at the end of both months.

I have used apartment accomodation for most of it; airbnb and some private apartments recommended to me by other travellers.

I am happy to share where we are staying if anyone is interested.

And now I will be researching the tours/cool stuff we want to experience.

Happy travels
MTB xo

What time of year are you going? There is a huge fireworks show in Rapallo the first three days of July if you are lucky enough to have that as part of your travel time.

Beyond that, keeping your car after Lastra a Signa depends on your planned activities for the 7 days in Santa Margherita Ligure. There is a coastal walking trail that gets you to Portofino and Rapallo (an overlooked, but beautiful town). There are water taxi options between Rapallo, Santa Margherita Ligure, and Portofino. There are also water circuits that take you to Cinque Terre. All of that would see you leaving your car in the parking lot. Genoa is right at your doorstep, but driving in Genoa is not the most fun thing in the world. For me, it would come down to the convenience of being able to load up and drive to Milan as opposed to multiple steps to get from hotel to train at one end and then from train to hotel at the other end.

For 2, the one I mentioned before is ~ 40 mins drive from Malpensa by car, either by autostrada route, or a more direct but cross country route

http://www.ilcavenago.it/en/index.html

Critical to this is the day of the week, as they *usually only serve meals at the weekend (not the only reason to be there, but they are wonderful). It can work as a single night stay if you want somewhere to arrive in daylight, have a brief stroll around the farm, watch the bats in the courtyard at dusk, then have a multi course meal including wonderful risotto (the 'menu del conte' listed on their site best reflects what we've typically had there).

Ghemme itself doesn't have much to appeal visually (we like it, but more for the people/ambience than any stunning sights). However for a short stop, and if arriving on Friday or Saturday, I would definitely recommend it. Indeed I suspect we'll be heading back there this time next year, probably starting there before heading off somewhere else in Piemonte.

Regards
Ian

* If they get a private booking in for midweek, then they'll typically cook for guests as well, serving them in a quieter area partially separated from the main room shown in the photo, which makes it look more ostentatious than it is - it's easy to feel at ease eating there.

p.s. Plenty there for breakfast, but my one criticism is that they don't make as much use of their farm produce as they could for breakfast, though maybe next time we'll ask them if that's possible.
The rooms are large, lots of old oak, with modern bathrooms. They would seem large enough to make into a family room if needed.

p.p.s. We've not stayed there, but I think I briefly looked at this when we needed an overnighter at Malpensa due to a late arrival flight www.hotelvilladellerose.net about 3-4km from the runway at the aip

Alpinista, we will just miss Rapello, we fly home at the start of July.

My thoughts echo yours on the car hassle and changing trains etc. For $300 extra I think it might be worth keeping as we would need to pay for 4pax on trains etc as well.

Ian; both those places are exactly what I am looking for!
Sometimes google comes up with nothing at all what I am looking for ;)
I will check out availability, but going in to Milan then back out to the airport for a single night seems a little crazy...they look much more relaxing!

Misstravelbug...Oh, how I envy your stay at La Foce! I have only visited for the tour of the grounds, but would love to actually stay there one year. This trip we are staying a week at a villa in Castelnuovo Berardenga in southern Chianti so that we can make a day trip into Florence...but the Val d'Orcia will always be my favorite area of Tuscany.
Did you decide on the Blue Apartment with Floralia Homes on Via dei Giubbonari in Rome? I believe we may have discussed this apartment in an earlier thread. We will be staying there in October after our week in Tuscany...if you are also renting it, I can let you know if it is still as good as it was our last visit

Mom83, yes we are staying in the blue apartment. My SIL is also staying in the orange apartment before she meets up with us. I would love to know what you think once you have stayed please. x

Misstravelbug...we have rented both the Orange studio and the Blue apartment for 10/7-12...I will definitely let you know our thoughts!

This trip we are staying a week at a villa in Castelnuovo Berardenga in southern Chianti so that we can make a day trip into Florence...but the Val d'Orcia will always be my favorite area of Tuscany.
I do hope you are planning a trip to the Felsina winery in Castelnuovo Berardenga. They produce some fine Chianti that excels in the cellar.

A friend has just returned from a Tuscan trip that included a visit there that he thoroughly enjoyed. For the Sangiovese wines, it should be very interesting to taste through the Chianti, Chianti Riserva and the single vineyard Rancia (a personal favourite), but then compare those experiences with the IGT Fontalloro which I believe is 100% Sangiovese, but made in a more modernist style.

Looking forward to trying as many different wines as we can...however, your knowledge of wine sounds much more sophisticated than ours! We will do our best to "taste and learn" this trip.

I'd say more geeky than sophisticated :)

Tasting and learning is certainly the best way to do it, lots of faux knowledge acquired from books, websites etc. but the old phrase 'in vino veritas' (in wine there is truth) works well when you think of the only truth being in the glass in front of you.

p.s. whilst there are far more wineries in Tuscany that run drop in cellar doors (compared to the rest of Italy), Felsina will need an appointment (and indeed I tend to recommend making appointments, as we seem to get an infinitely better experience when we do). Email is info@felsina.it, tel +39 0577 355117.

Regards
Ian

p.s. if you head down to Montepulciano, then I'll pop two suggestions in, both modestly priced for the enjoyment we got from their wines, and both were visits we were made to feel very welcome at: Crociani in Montepulciano itself (cellar door / tasting room, so drop in is ok) & Daviddi near Stazione Montepulciano, a lovely little family operation, with back vintages available for little more than current release. We had an appointment, but they might also take drop in visitors. They even brought us towels to dry off, having been caught out in the rain, then dropped us off in their car at our next appointment. Hospitality++

Ian...I was hoping to make appointments for winery visits the day before...do you think this will be sufficient notice or do I need to reserve an appointment farther ahead? We like to get up each day, take a peak at the weather and then decide which route we will take for the day. If necessary, I can make the Felsino reservation farther in advance as it is only 4 km from the villa we rented. The other two wineries that we would really like to visit this trip are Brolio and Verrazano.
I am not sure if we will make a return visit to Montepulciano this trip...I do have nearby Pienza on the itinerary for a return meal at Latte di Luna. But, I will mark those two winery suggestions on my list...Daviddi sounds very intriguing.

Booking in advance gives greater certainty, however considering the number of people who get appointments booked by their B&B owner etc. on arrival, short notice doesn't appear to be a problem.

Personally we book well in advance, as the brains of the operation isn't comfortable with uncertainty, plus I do like to book visits so close together, so that it's feasible to walk between them, whether or not we have a *car, so the greater certainty means less stress for me. However if taking it more on the fly, then I'd be tempted to leave some leeway, e.g. for a 6 night stay, try to make the booking for say 3 or 4, leaving at least a couple of additional days available if that wasn't a convenient time

Regards
Ian

* That way the designated driver gets a better opportunity to taste, and if lunch is to follow, they can either taste freely, or carefully, but have a glass with lunch. e.g. 10am tasting, 11:30am tasting, Lunch, with the car not being used between 10am and ~ 2:30/3pm. If we fit in a pre or post lunch walk, then it's even longer to let the alcohol work through.

Thank you for the helpful advice. My husband is the driver and we are always conscious about consuming and driving. When we we were in Beaune, France 3 years ago, our biking wine tour got changed to a driving wine tour with bikes trailered behind due to rain. We followed the guide and 2 other guests in the van with our car. After the last wine tasting, we were driving back to Beaune on a small country road when we were pulled over by the gendarmes! They gave Jeff a breathalyzer test...fortunately he passed! But, in my mind, I saw him carted off to jail with me trying to drive the manual transmission car back to our apartment!

IMHO, if the expense is acceptable to you, I would have the car for the first month--leaving Rome.
There are so many wonderful towns within a short drive of La Foce and Assisi. I think you will enjoy having the car.

One comment for after your husband leaves--pack for you and the children very lightly. Getting on and off the trains with too much luggage can really be unpleasant.

Where are you staying in Torino?
I have been looking at apartments there for a week in early May next year, too.

I'd agree in principle on the car, that it's easier to keep hold of it for a month, than going through the hassles of taking it back, then getting another one, plus there is often a better rate for a longer rent.

The apartment we stayed in last visit might appeal - Loger confort residence (yes that's the correct spelling) www.residencetorino.info on via XX settembre, and wonderfully situated about 2 mins walk from Stazione Porta Nuova and half that to the small tourist office that faces it. The apartments are on (IIRC) the 4th floor, with a decent lift. Staff are on hand in the (2nd floor?) office during the day, though we know the city so well we didn't bother them. Spacious 1 bedroom flat with kitchen/diner/lounge, well equipped, and if necessary I think the sofas converted to sofa beds. Could barely hear the trams going past, but occasional birdsong as we were up near the roof. No view/balcony, but then there are few views I'd see that as a great advantage in Torino.

Also worth checking prices at Residence du Parc, but last time we checked they'd gone up a lot. Very spacious, though oddly somewhat spartan inside. The location is decent walk away from the centre, though regular trams run nearby, including up to the market (number 9 & 16 IIRC). It is however handy in good weather fore being alongside parco Valentino, getting you a nice dose of greenery in a built up city.

If you want something that is a private apartment rented out (as against the residence type places above), then Casa Diaz (on booking dot com) at via maria vittoria 51, 10100 Turin TO, Italy was nice and homely. not huge, but fine for two of us. Fitted as if someone was living there, rather than the residences that often lack the personal touch (though Loger confort did better than most). Location is less convenient for train stations, but rather handy for hopping over the river, plus via Po / Piazza Maria Vittoria and across to the Castello etc. There is a wonderful little food shop 1-2 mins walk west along via Maria Vittoria : Gastronomia I nostri sapori, though between visits they cut back the size of the shop. The prepared meals were very tasty / easy, but their home made crostate were an absolute joy. Worth a visit for those alone.

We are very much looking forward to staying in Turin for a week!

We will keep the car for the first month after Rome just for the ease of being able to move around and for the little extra expense I think it's worth it. I mean, train tickets for 4 would have to be taken out of the $300, so it would be more like $100-$150 saving for much more hassle.

Jan, we are staying in this apartment in Turin. I have had it on my favourites for a long time.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/3613250?location=turin&s=_Ou22Mpe

This was my second choice:

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/1632758?location=turin&s=_Ou22Mpe

Or if there was just two of us this looks amazing too (but we are 2 adults and 2 children and in Turin it will be myself, kids and SIL so we need extra space)

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/17571445?location=turin&s=_Ou22Mpe

I am having problems in Milan though... does anyone have a great apartment recommendation for 1A2C and 1A to share...I had Casa Broggi bookmarked as many from slowtrav recommended it but as we are there at the end of June and it doesn't have AC I am reluctant to book it, just in case it's over 30C. WDYT?

Hotels; we would need two rooms. The expense creeps up here as we wouldn't want to be squished into one with 4 of us, I am happy to share in a triple, but the price for a tripe and a single seems to be triple+ the cost of a nice apartment. And we are only there for 2 nights before we go.

I am considering this apartment, what do you guys think of it's location etc?

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/153...=wishlist_owner&adults=1&children=0&infants=0

jan, we will give DH the large case with our warmer clothes and anything we have purchased to take home and I am thinking two cabin size suitcases and a day pack each for the children will hopefully cover us for the next month. I figure that I can carry two small suitcases up and down stairs easier than one large one. And we are staying in apartments so will have access to a washing machine. What do you think?

I also stayed at Loger Comfort last November. Its quiet and clean. I stayed on the fourth floor in a 1 bedroom. My apartment had a small kitchen. There is a washing machine in the bathroom. The two ladies at the reception desk are very helpful. You can't beat the location.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina