• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A Stopover Near Como

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be driving from Umbria to Switzerland (and back) this August. I'm not sure if we'll be driving to Oberdorf first, or to Lenk, which is 2+ hours further.

Because it'll be August and the days will be long, I'm hoping by making this a 2 day trip we can see something along the way, or just enjoy incredible views. Como looks like a good place to stop for an overnight, both going and coming. It's definitely not halfway, but it's at the Alps which is far more compelling (for us) than the scenery south of Milan where it's flat and boring! We also have the possibility to extend our stay at this stop on our way home - if we don't go to Oberdorf. So, this is where I'm clueless and need help with accommodations.

I'd like somewhere to stay around Como (or chime in if you have another suggestion!) with easy access to the road, not too far out of the way, gorgeous views and well, asking for reasonable prices in Switzerland in August is pretty crazy, so I won't even bother. Where do I begin the search?

Almost forgot! Here's the MAP

Well, Como is in Italy, not Switzerland, so the prices aren't too bad. It's not in the Alps, though: you're only at 200m here (less than 100m higher than Milan), but the lake is surrounded by alpine foothills. Cernobbio is a smaller town, a tiny bit N of Como (the town, not the lake): we've overnight end there before - I'll look up details tomorrow.

thanks Jonathan, and yes, of course Como is in Italy, I just had the "drive TO Switzerland" in my head. We were on lake Como years ago - in 2000! - and stayed in a small village across the lake from Bellagio. I remember the scenery being stunning, but perhaps I was more easily impressed back then.

Cernobbio looks well located for a stop. Perhaps this stop is best just as an overnight, and if we want scenery we should just extend our time in Lenk.

Slight change in plans! We'll be stopping along the way back to San Venanzo, rather than on the way from Italy to Switzerland. We'll be coming from Lenk, taking the scenic route @jonathan recommended on another thread.

I think Cernobbio might still be the best option for a stop - I think it makes sense to stop before we hit Milan, and south of Milan I don't have any ideas for a stopping point, especially for one night! There are many, many places I'd love to see along the way, but I just don'[t think additional days/nights are in the budget!

We've used Cernobbio on the route down, twice - staying at Albergo Giardino. Simple but very decent rooms, and their restaurant downstairs is good value: rooms rate is around €70 on Booking.com at the moment. The last time we were there must have been at least 8 years ago, but the recent reviews make it sound much the same.

The hotel isn't on the waterfront, but it's only a shortish walk away. The lake down at Cernobbio isn't as spectacularly beautiful as it is up at Varenna - but it's a lot closer to your route!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina