• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Afternoon Tea-Oxford & London

I don't know if they do a formal afternoon tea, but my favorite place for tea and scones is the cafe that belongs to St. Mary's Church in Oxford. They have a lovely little garden with tables where you can sit and enjoy your tea.
St. Mary's Cafe

It's harder to recommend something in London as there are hundreds of places to go.
Again, if you don't need a formal tea, the V&A has both a lovely indoor cafe and a garden space.
For formal teas, I really like Fortnum & Mason as well as Brown's Hotel. Both of these are a little pricey - around 50 pounds, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the link to the article - I didn't know about the cafe at the top of the Ashmolean. Looks like a wonderful place on a summer day.

Make sure to get reservations for the F&M tea. They are often fully booked. And don't miss the wonderful small bookshop next door, Hatchards. Although it's now owned by Waterstones, it has the same fun 5 story layout it's had for years.

The Ashmolean is wonderful with its outside area, on a summer's day. We have only been for a 'proper' lunch there (they also have a cafe in the depths which I find uninviting) and the lunch was excellent, but I have never had tea there. I had tea here years ago (I think it even had a different name then) - a little way down the Banbury Road so not central Old Parsonage Hotel, but it looks a possibility although you have probably made your decision now!

Last edited:
I'm reconsidering Fortnum & Mason at 50 GBP per person. The menu sounds delicious though, abit too much food for us mid day. I will go over there to shop. Thanks everyone.

I did not have afternoon tea, although I did see the offerings at the Old Parsonage and it looked delicious. We arrived at 3pm on a Sunday and made it in time for the roast beef dinner. It was wnderful. Loved staying at the Old Parsonage ground floor room. Was not noisy. No elevator, a few stairs to lobby, restaurant to rooms. You must go through restaurant or use side door from parking lot to get to rooms. Worth returning to in the future.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina