• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Airfares - Prices Different From Different Countries?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I'm still shopping for airfare from Edinburgh to Rome in August, and I wondered: does the fact that I'm searching from the U.S. make a difference? If I was connecting from England would the prices be different? Lower? Higher? The VPN I normally use has a special offer, and I'm thinking of activating it before we leave for Europe - and this would certainly make it possible to search for airfares from different countries! Any thoughts? @Andrew , do you have any experience with this?

I don't know a whole lot about it, other than occasionally seeing about mistake fares that come up, for example, if you search in Norwegian kroner because someone entered the fare at the wrong conversion rate. I haven't heard about VPN making a difference: I think if you open an airline site (or a site like Momondo) and say you're in the U.K., they'll give fares in GBP that aren't different from what you'd get there.

Over the past few years I have searched for flights between US cities and Italy and found that the prices were the same whether we were searching from a US server or an Italian server.

The difference however, was that for the same routes, on the same days and with the same carriers it was always cheaper to fly from Italy to the US - sometimes as much as 20% less. This was not a one-time occurrence but I found this to be a common result.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina