• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Almost Time!!!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
It feels as if half my life is spent waiting for the time we spend in Italy, and the wait is almost over! We're spending a few days in DC to visit our granddaughters, then we'll fly to Edinburgh for 5 nights. I love all things Scottish - the accents, the kilts, and of course, bagpipes. It's been many years since we've been to Scotland, and altho 5 nights is waaay to short a visit, it was the best I could do. The festival and the Tattoo are going on, so there will be plenty to see and do. We're staying in an Air B&B room that looks amazing, and I'll report back after we get settled.

After Scotland we fly to Italy for 11 glorious weeks! We're staying in a new place this year because the friend we usually stay with has downsized. It took a lot of research but after a lot of emails (many unanswered), we finally found an apartment that seems perfect. The location is great (off the E45, but not as far off as we were in San Venanzo), and the family owns both a restaurant and a deli, so they're definitely our kind of people. So far communication with them has been great, and I'll be anxious to report back. We're renting a one BR apt for €450/month, plus utilities. Additionally they'll clean the apartment and change the linens every week, meaning all we'll have to worry about is washing our clothes. Although our apartment doesn't have a washing machine, there's a laundromat just down the street, so I'm not too concerned. The apartment does have AC, and we'll use it if we have to to sleep, but the cheapskate side of me is hoping the heatwave has passed by the time we arrive.

I've spent the last 3 months getting in shape, walking every morning, working out every other day, and so far I've lost about 18 lbs. At this point I'm dreaming of all the incredible food we're going to have in Italy - gelato, porchetta, pizza and pasta! Last year I lost 5 pounds during our stay, and I'm hoping I can do the same this year - but OTOH, if I just stay the same I'll be incredibly happy! I'll be posting on FB since I can post pictures right from my phone. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement!

Have a wonderful time, but I do not think that is in doubt!!

Wow! The apartment looks wonderful and right down the street from your old place. Congrats on the hard work on your body.
I am so very familar with the worried days leading up to departure. Keep breathing. For me, I try to remember that great feeling of walking down the concourse toward our gate when there's no turning back. It's such elation, usually, for me. If that doesn't work I imagine fastening my seat belt on the plane and the big exhale.

Enjoy!

Wishing you a fabulous trip!
I was a student in Edinburgh in the 70's, so it is my second home still.
I still have family and friends there, and visit when I can.
Be sure to get off the main roads like the Royal Mile and Princes Street area ; and walk down into the Dean Village, or Stockbridge, or Leith Shore areas.
You can ride the buses cheaply; about 1.40 pounds per trip; or better value is the Day Ticket for about 4 pounds for 24 hours, so you can hop on and off all over the city.
(And be sure to ride on the top deck to see over walls etc.!
Buon Viaggio!

your enthusiasm is infectious, now I'm excited for you, too! looking forward to your posts.

Scotland is also on my short list, but it's complicated as my husband is an avid golfer and if he steps foot on Scottish soil, the trip had better involve golf. I don't play, and honestly have no interest in making it a guys-trip-with-spouses-who-keep-themselves-otherwise-entertained.............
+

Oh wow, that Airbnb looks incredible! Really looks in tune with the rest of the surrounding destinations. The suggested activities below the page also caught my eye, in particular the leather making and whiskey tasting (I can almost smell them!). I've always wondered about the 'Experiences' in Airbnb but haven't tried as of yet and seems varied in price and activities as implied in this article, but I don't think I've had anyone I know personally mention it was worth it... oops getting off track! Anyway, hope you have a lovely time in Scotland, that lodging alone is quite wonderful.

Scotland was incredible, but that's no surprise! Our Air B&b was everything we expected and more. The location was perfect, and our host was kind and helpful.

The most important thing? The weather! We lucked out and had rain only one day, and that was the day we'd scheduled a bus tour to the Highlands. It didn't rain all day, but was cloudy, which didn't make for the best photos, but I was happy just to be riding in the countryside. Even better, we had perfect weather for the Tattoo, but it was still coll and breezy up on the Esplanade, but we were prepared for that.

Now we're in Umbria, or as I like to think of it, home. As always, I'm posting pictures and commentary on our FB page, Art and Barb's Umbria

It feels as if half my life is spent waiting for the time we spend in Italy, and the wait is almost over! We're spending a few days in DC to visit our granddaughters, then we'll fly to Edinburgh for 5 nights. I love all things Scottish - the accents, the kilts, and of course, bagpipes. It's been many years since we've been to Scotland, and altho 5 nights is waaay to short a visit, it was the best I could do. The festival and the Tattoo are going on, so there will be plenty to see and do. We're staying in an Air B&B room that looks amazing, and I'll report back after we get settled.

After Scotland we fly to Italy for 11 glorious weeks! We're staying in a new place this year because the friend we usually stay with has downsized. It took a lot of research but after a lot of emails (many unanswered), we finally found an apartment that seems perfect. The location is great (off the E45, but not as far off as we were in San Venanzo), and the family owns both a restaurant and a deli, so they're definitely our kind of people. So far communication with them has been great, and I'll be anxious to report back. We're renting a one BR apt for €450/month, plus utilities. Additionally they'll clean the apartment and change the linens every week, meaning all we'll have to worry about is washing our clothes. Although our apartment doesn't have a washing machine, there's a laundromat just down the street, so I'm not too concerned. The apartment does have AC, and we'll use it if we have to to sleep, but the cheapskate side of me is hoping the heatwave has passed by the time we arrive.

I've spent the last 3 months getting in shape, walking every morning, working out every other day, and so far I've lost about 18 lbs. At this point I'm dreaming of all the incredible food we're going to have in Italy - gelato, porchetta, pizza and pasta! Last year I lost 5 pounds during our stay, and I'm hoping I can do the same this year - but OTOH, if I just stay the same I'll be incredibly happy! I'll be posting on FB since I can post pictures right from my phone. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement!

Sounds like you'll have a real blast. Thanks for sharing.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina