• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Flights American Airlines opens Premium Economy awards

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
View from the Wing article: today American Airlines published frequent flyer award charts including Premium Economy (PEY), which more or less is domestic first class seats for international travel. The SAAver award price isn't bad, at 40,000 miles one-way U.S.-Europe, compared to 30K in the Main Cabin for most of the year. It could be a challenge to find SAAver award availability, and many of the aircraft that go U.S.-Italy don't have a PEY section.

An actual purchase of 10,000 miles would be over $300 (but members have different bonuses targeted to them). When people estimate a value for AA miles, it's usually in the range of 1.2 to 1.4 cents per mile. I have a credit card grandfathered in from US Airways, which gives 10,000 miles on the account anniversary with an annual fee of $89; for a couple of years I was able to get the fee waived, but not this past year.

And was this offer indeed for Premium Economy rather than Main Cabin Extra, which is economy with extra legroom? When I've gotten MCE on transatlantic flights, the fee for a seat assignment in that section was around $130.

I called American, and on my popular Raleigh to London flight, there are no premium economy seats offered for the days that I'll be flying -- not even a few days prior, which I'm flexible in doing. Oh well!

There's nothing for my September trip either (same route), tickets are on hold for that one.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina