• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Americans may need visas for travel to Europe

Roz

500+ Posts
According to an article from the Telegraph, reposted to Yahoo, that I just saw:
EU Escalates Visa War with US

Americans should be forced to apply for visas to travel to Europe, the European Parliament has said, in response to Washington refusing to allow all Europeans to travel to the States visa-free.

The vote by show of hands is the latest in the ongoing “visa war” between Brussels and the US capital, which now looks set to come to a head after MEPs today agreed that US nationals crossing the Atlantic should require additional travel documents as long as citizens from five EU countries (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania) are kept from entering America without a visa.​

what a damn mess this is turning into....I blame....well, anyway, hope it doesn't happen before I leave for Italy Sept. 19th!

Please keep the board up to date on this conversation. We have a trip booked for this September and next June.

From what I see, it's very unlikely that they'd require a traditional visa where you need to send your passport to the consulate before the trip. More likely it would be something like the ESTA program for EU visitors to the U.S.; you'd fill out an online form and most people are instantly approved; one write-up here.

Interesting. I'm going on Shannon's Grape Hops Tour (including a side to Italy) in September, so I'm hoping for best scenario, no VISA required.

Love him or not, Rick Steves posted this today on his FB page:

"Will Europe require visas?

A branch of the European Union recently held a symbolic and show-of-hands vote in favor of requiring American visitors to apply for entry visas. This has caused some confusion — especially among those who read headlines instead of details. Let me offer an explanation. And to cut to the chase, there is zero chance that Americans will need visas to travel to EU countries in 2017.

The vote was a call from five European nations that the US requires visas for (Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Poland, and Romania) to treat travelers from the USA the same: to require an entry visa. This is simply a matter of national pride and reciprocity.

While they make a fair case, these five countries are just a small part of the roughly 400 million citizens of the European Union. And the EU values the economic boost brought by nearly 13 million US visitors a year. Especially this year, with the dollar so strong on the euro, Europe is salivating for the boost to their economies American tourists will bring. A new visa requirement to soothe the damaged pride of those five nations is highly unlikely.

No visa is required for Americans to enter the EU and no changes in this requirement are expected. Changing this would involve all the member states and would take years to actually make happen. So do not worry.

On a related note, many Americans wonder what kind of reception we’ll receive in Europe with the chaotic and generally “ugly American” vibe coming out of the White House. We know from our own experience since our election that Europe may be amazed at the choice of the American people for “the leader of the free world,” they have been rattled by such choices in the past and have always understood that there’s a big difference between US government policy and proclamation and the attitudes and beliefs of individual American travelers. Just like we wouldn’t condemn an Italian for being ruled by a buffoon like Berlusconi or a Turk being ruled by a tyrant like Erdogan, reasonable Europeans will not condemn Americans for what they think about our president.

I’m looking forward to four wonderful months of travel throughout Europe in 2017 as are our guides and the thousands of travelers who have already signed up for our 2017 tours. While we took 20,000 happy travelers on Rick Steves Europe Tours in 2016, we’re on track to take even more in 2017. If you have any questions or concerns about these issues, please email us or give us a ring: www.ricksteves.com/about-us/contact-us Your peace of mind is a big part of a great European vacation.

Happy travels!"

An interesting quandary for many travellers.
I recall when Dubya was elected, bumping into an American lady in Italy who had seriously considered getting an 'I voted Kerry" t-shirt printed for her trip. She had genuine concerns.

I'd expect other US travellers to have those concerns this year, as indeed us Brits will when travelling to Europe.

The good news, is we're all judged on who we are, and how we treat others. Indeed in such times we are all diplomats, for Americans to show that the bigotry of Trump is not representative, for Brits that the malevolent nationalism that arose from Brexit is not representative, and so on.

regards
Ian

An interesting quandary for many travellers.
I recall when Dubya was elected, bumping into an American lady in Italy who had seriously considered getting an 'I voted Kerry" t-shirt printed for her trip. She had genuine concerns.

I'd expect other US travellers to have those concerns this year, as indeed us Brits will when travelling to Europe.

The good news, is we're all judged on who we are, and how we treat others. Indeed in such times we are all diplomats, for Americans to show that the bigotry of Trump is not representative, for Brits that the malevolent nationalism that arose from Brexit is not representative, and so on.

regards
Ian

Please, please don't bring politics to this board. Let us stay in our happy travel places

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina