• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Annual Travel Insurance?

Cameron

500+ Posts
My past travel purchases have been covered with great insurance by CitiCards, but they discontinued the benefit in September 2019. So, I no longer get trip insurance unless I buy a separate policy.

An annual policy seems better than having to scramble to cover each trip, especially since I tend to book a Slow Travel Tour, more than a full year in advance. I also add on days before/after those tours, but I don't make those plans so far in advance.

I'm getting quotes for yearly policies, as I tend to travel to Europe twice a year. I spoke with a rep at Allianz, and am pretty impressed with what is covered, for a yearly fee, and few exclusions.

If you have experience with doing so, what company did you use? Happy with it?

Thanks!

We have the TravelGuard Business Traveler annual plan after talking with one of their agents. The insurance is mainly for medical and evacuation coverage. We are basically self-insured for our travel costs. Here is the coverage. We have yet to make a claim.

Standard Packages
ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES$50000.00Per Insured
ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT$50000.00Per Insured
BAGGAGE AND PERSONAL EFFECTS$2500.00Per Insured
BAGGAGE DELAY$1000.00Per Insured
$200.00 Payout Limit Per Day
BUSINESS ASSISTANCE SERVICESIncludedPer Insured
CONCIERGE SERVICESIncludedPer Insured
EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS$500000.00Per Insured
IDENTITY THEFT ASSISTANCE SERVICESIncludedPer Insured
MISSED CONNECTION$500.00Per Insured
PERSONAL SECURITY ASSISTANCEIncludedPer Insured
SECURITY EVACUATION$100000.00Per Insured
TRAVEL MEDICAL ASSISTANCEIncludedPer Insured
TRIP DELAY$1500.00Per Insured
$150.00 Payout Limit Per Day
TRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR$2500.00Per Insured
WORLD WIDE TRAVEL ASSISTANCEIncludedPer Insured

We have the TravelGuard Business Traveler annual plan after talking with one of their agents. The insurance is mainly for medical and evacuation coverage. We are basically self-insured for our travel costs. Here is the coverage. We have yet to make a claim.

Thanks for the info. Although I'm on Medicare, my supplemental insurance, through my retirement, covers most medical costs, except evacuation, which I'm finding most trip insurance that I'm looking at, will cover.

I'm more interested in covering travel costs -- flights, tours, accommodations, etc. in case of covered reasons for cancellation.

I've sent Allianz some questions about their coverage, after reading their policies.

Thanks.

We also make two trips each year, spending half the year in Europe.

I didn't bother to submit a claim for last May when I saw the doctor (€26); had an ultrasound at the hospital radiology department (€67); and visited the hospital emergency for chest pain (€87 for being seen by the doctor and getting an EKG).

For trip cancellation, you could look into having the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The card has a $95 annual fee, and the points with the opening bonus can be valued at $750 or more with the right conversion to a frequent flyer program and award. A write-up on their insurance is here ; we had a successful trip cancellation claim with them last year, but it called for submitting documents several times. Now we have a trip delay claim pending.

Thanks for the info. Although I'm on Medicare, my supplemental insurance, through my retirement, covers most medical costs, except evacuation, which I'm finding most trip insurance that I'm looking at, will cover.
As @JustTravel noted, Medicare will not cover (OR reimburse) medical costs incurred in other countries. Our BC/BS policy will reimburse us, and we've found the process to be fairly simple.

I think my biggest concern would be for medical evacuation rather than medical costs.

For trip cancellation, you could look into having the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The card has a $95 annual fee, and the points with the opening bonus can be valued at $750 or more with the right conversion to a frequent flyer program and award. A write-up on their insurance is here ; we had a successful trip cancellation claim with them last year, but it called for submitting documents several times. Now we have a trip delay claim pending.
My Citicard no longer provides this benefi, so I wonder how long Chase will do so. Thanks

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina