• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Another form of Travel Planning Block: Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO), or "you can't do everything"

milgreen2

100+ Posts
Thanks in no small measure to the thoughtful and supportive posts on this forum, I have moved past my initial planning block and am in full-on travel planning mode for an October trip to Sicily and Rome. But, now I'm facing another form of block: having to narrow down my decisions. There are so many interesting, inviting places to see and experiences to be had that I am almost paralyzed by worrying that by choosing X, I'm foregoing Y, and Y might actually be better than X...................You see where this could go :~).

I know this is just a microcosm of the real world in which we live, where we know we can't do/have/experience everything. But the stakes seem higher when we're planning to spend our precious time, energy, and carefully saved vacation funds. I guess the next step is to figure out our priorities for the trip, both individually and as a couple, and maybe even go so far as creating a vision board.............

Oh goodness gracious, I definitely draw the line at writing a mission statement!

But I am interested in hearing how others grapple with similar issues when starting to map out a trip. I sometimes wish I were the kind of person who is comfortable with simply booking airline tickets and figuring out the rest as they go.

It is tricky to juggle booking flights and accommodations at the same time. I spend days searching and when it is finally coming together, I book accommodations first but hold off on paying the deposit until the flights are booked. Hotel or shorter than a week accommodations I don't worry so much about booking before the flights are booked.

But that is ignoring your question about how to map out a trip. I find it difficult. There are so many places that I want to go just in Italy and I have a shortlist in my head, then put together a trip where it flows well - where we are not driving around too much.

Thanks for your feedback, Pauline. I keep a shortlist in my head also, but it tends to grow exponentially the more I read and research......every charming small B&B, staying overnight near the Valley of Temples, doing a full day olive oil/cheese tour and cooking class, staying in Piazza Armerina at the B&B where the owner is also a guide and does tours of Villa Romana.....you get the drift.

I don't think I've ever gone on a trip where, 3 weeks after returning home, I read an article telling me about something interesting very near to where I'd just vacationed, yet I'd never heard about it in all my pre-vacation research. I guess this is why I keep returning to the same places over and over!

Often my initial destination is chosen because I find what in my opinion is a bargain flight to a particular destination. In that case, once my base is decided I try to make the most of what that destination offers only travelling further afield if I run out of things to do or see, and anyway using public transport. If I do day trips it would only be to a place which really only needs a day. For example when we were in Malaga for a week we didn't go to Cordoba or Granada because both deserve more than a day and are 'destinations' in themselves.
A first visit to Sicily can be daunting because there's so much to see and do. In this case I always think that if in normal life one hopes to 'have a good day' on holiday the expectation is to 'have a great day'. That, obviously varies from person to person. For us it means a lot of walking, enough to sink gratefully on the sofa but not so much to provoke blisters or pain, great food, which may mean a picnic and cooking with local ingredients later, and beautiful places, natural or man-made.If you have planned a great day for each of your days of holiday, what more can you do?!
Also we have to be a little optimistic and think next time I'll.....

I am all over the map when travel dreams enter my head. But nothing becomes real until I book my flights. Airfare is my biggest upfront cost, so it's my step one. I don't look at accommodations until I have my flights booked because until that point, I don't know my dates or even my destination.

Next I research the area, check out guidebooks, and do a lot of google map exploring to get in the mood. At the same time I look for accommodations...which is basically a 'follow my gut' kind of process. Fortunately I've had exceptionally good luck with that! That's about it. We usually take things day by day once we're actually travelling.

I totally understand the FOMO though. But after a couple trips of doing too much and having things blur together, I've learned that I enjoy myself more if I let go of trying to see everything and instead spend more time doing less. I've also happily discovered that often Z pops up unexpectedly and turns out to be every bit as good as I'd imagined X or Y would be! So there's that! lol

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina