• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Areas to stay in London

stav

10+ Posts
Hi
Which are the best areas to stay in London ?
Preferably a short walking distance to tourist points of interest, pubs, restaurants, and places to go out at night, or close to the tube or other efficient public transport.
Thank you.

Hi Stav
I suppose it depends on what interests you. I'm usually influenced mostly by convenience for a specific point of interest e.g. a restaurant I know I'll be eating in, or being convenient for entry / departure point e.g. if coming into / leaving from Heathrow, then being near to Paddington can make both transfers a little less painful.

In the old days I would have said avoid city / square mile, as this area used to be utterly deserted at weekends, but am told even that is changing.

The tube is useful, but aim to use it mainly for longer journeys. If your destination is only a mile or two away, it's often better (and sometimes faster) to simply walk there in the fresh(ish) air, then the often extensive walking and stale air underground. The extensive tube network (plus buses) does make location a little less important than it might be in other cities, and London does rather have points of interest dotted all over.

Regards
Ian

"Best" is such a subjective idea when there are so many options.

For ease of access to Heathrow by public transport, the Piccadilly Line connects directly to areas like South Kensington, Gloucester Road, and Bloomsbury (Holborn/Russell Square/Kings Cross).

For Gatwick, then anywhere not too far from Victoria/Sloane Square; but the through services from Gatwick also make areas like Blackfriars and the South Bank/London Bridge more attractive.

There is nowhere where everything is on the doorstep; but pretty well everywhere is reasonably accessible by public transport - see the TfL visitor map at https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/visitors-and-tourists?intcmp=40408

Purely subjectively, liking access to green spaces, near the V and A as well as being extremely well served by public transport and having pubs, restaurants, shopping to hand, I would say South Kensington near Gloucester Road or High Street Kensington, every time.

I also prefer the Kensington/Chelsea/Sloane Square areas. It's very easy to access the museums (Science, History, V&A), Kensington Gardens, etc. in that area.

The tourist areas around Buckingham, Westminster, etc. are so crowded, that a respite in the quieter areas, near the gardens and green spaces are most appealing, but that's just me.

Last year, I stayed near Sloan Square (Draycott Hotel, Cadogan Gardens) and walked to Buckingham Palace (30 minutes) - an example of how far it looks on a map, but isn't that far is you're up to a good walk.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina