• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - Top 10 free things to do in Paris

Pauline

Forums Admin
The Guardian - Top 10 free things to do in Paris, March 25 2104
Paris is one of the world's most beautiful cities – and one of the most expensive. So, from the walkway over the city to galleries and fashion shows, we pick the city's best free activities

We have done some of these things, but the one I did not know about is La Promenade Plantee - the walkway made from an old elevated railway line. A 4.5km walk in east Paris. This is on my list for out next visit.

I think Amy wrote about the promenade in one of her trip reports. Maybe I'll get there next year, during Shannon's BIG birthday celebration week.

I'd add the "jardins partagés" that have cropped up everywhere, especially in the Marais.
They are usually very small gardens, hidden behind buildings, so that you could pass in front and not notice, which means there is never a mob.
Part of the garden is gardened by … volunteers from the neighborhood, who usually keep a potager going and also give gardening classes to adults and children.
Two lovely ones come to mind in the Marais.
- Clos des Blancs Manteaux
- Jardin Ann Frank. This one is half a block from the Pompidou center. Do you believe this ?

I can't steer you to these two secret without pointing out where to get the perfect picnic food.
We used to get awesome Banh Mi from Angela on rue Volta. Now that she is gone, we get awesome Bo Bun from Song Heng next door.
Another option, a sweet one, is the orgasmic Portuguese egg tart from Comme à Lisbonne. Both about a 7, 8 minute walk to the gardens, if you find them.

Another garden, much bigger, the Jardin des Plantes, seems to be favored by the French. I prefer it to the Luxembourg gardens because it does not have the view of the Tour Montparnasse, and also because we love to have a mint tea inside the spectacular tea house inside the Mosuqée de Paris, then stroll through the garden through the entrance that is just across the street from the tea house, then walk along the Seine to the Marais side, to the Village St Paul where often antique markets are held on the weekends, or to the pedestrian rue des Barres, to smell what seems to be one of two champaca trees of Paris.

Oh, the mint tea at the beautiful Mosquée de Paris tea house does set you back one euro.

We visited many of the parks in Paris on our 2009 trip. I liked Luxembourg Gardens, but also Les Jardin des Plantes that Parigi mentions. Here is a photo. Pretty, isn't it? We were staying nearby in the 5th.

jardin-les-plantes-paris-0482.jpg

I'd add the "jardins partagés" that have cropped up everywhere, especially in the Marais.

They are usually very small gardens, hidden behind buildings, so that you could pass in front and not notice, which means there is never a mob...

Two lovely ones come to mind in the Marais.
- Clos des Blancs Manteaux
- Jardin Ann Frank. This one is half a block from the Pompidou center. Do you believe this ?

Wonderful, Parigi! I'm intrigued by hidden gardens, so will try to locate your recommendations. I've heard you mention a Marais secret rose garden; is one of the above "the" rose garden? I found this article on the web; Paris quiet: 15 havens, which has hidden quiet gardens.... More destinations off the beaten track... and free!

Last edited:
Oh my! Parigi, if you and your native Parisian friend had trouble finding the entrance to your secret rose garden, I may be running in circles trying to get in :eek: :arghh: :dead:

Have you walked along the Canal St. Martin? It was delightful, even in the rain.
We were staying in the 11th, used the metro to the Stalingrad station in the 10th. While walking, we made better time than the tourist bateau. It was fun to see how the locks worked and to see a drawbridge that swings to the side, instead of raising. There are a number of shops and cafes along the way. Some pedestrian bridges cross over the canal as well. We mostly explored the western side; the canal goes underground near Rue du Faubourg.

"Rue du Faubourg."
Could you specify the street name ? There are rue du Faubourg St Martin, rue du Faubourg St Denis, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, rue du Faubourg Montmartre. Thanks.The 1st, 2nd and 4th are all near each other.

Thanks, good point. From my recollection, it is by rue du Faubourge du Temple, on the border of the 10th and 11th that the canal goes underground.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina