• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Articles - Cool holiday cottages in the UK

Number 7 looks a little TOO remote. No electricity and sheep fierce enough to require that huge stone wall!o_O

Well, I wish you had spoken up sooner Chris. I've already booked it for when you come to stay with us after Spain.

Tibbetts, Lundy, off Devon

The small island of Lundy, off Devon's north coast, has plenty of secluded cottages. Most remote is Tibbetts, a former watch station almost two miles from the island's village. Ringed by a stone wall to keep out sheep, it's one for Enid Blyton-style holidaymakers: it has running water and a shower (but no electricity), two sets of bunk beds and a woodburning stove ...

It is offered by Landmark Trust - I love their places (but we have never stayed in one). Landmark Trust - Tibbetts

Lundy is not that far away. Devon is only two counties away from us.

Were you planning to just drop me off there? :eek:

I had to google Enid Blyton -- never heard of her before.

I bought the Landmark Trust app ($4.99) because it is cheaper than ordering their catalogue, which I usually do. Perhaps this will be the year we stay in one of their places. They are all historic and interesting.

I don't see the reference to Enid Blyton, whose name sounds familiar ...
"Ringed by a stone wall to keep out sheep, it's one for Enid Blyton-style holidaymakers"
I guess Enid Blyton-style holidaymakers are those willing to forego electricity and fend off the sheep.

Did someone say Enid Blyton? We in ex colonies like Malaysia grew up on her! And when I had a son, and before we moved the USA I reread her books with him...the Famous Five, The Secret Seven etc. When we came to the USA I asked at the library in Lafayette Louisiana for her books and was told that they do not keep it because she is considered racist and sexist .....I cracked my brains and can only come with the fact that they had a black maid and the one of the characters, Georgina wanted to be a boy and call herself George! I loved those books and credit them for my English language skills to this day.

What was the reference to her?

Footnote: when I took my son to fir registration at kindergarten in Lafayette and they tested him for his reading skills, the teacher came out to verify with me whether I had entered his date if birth incorrectly because he was reading at 2nd Grade level...thank again to Enid Blyton....but that was another age and times...sigh...her books were so gripping it got one hooked on reading...

She was mentioned in the article Pauline referred to in the first post here (cottage #7).

Ha that fits in well...no electricity..perfect for dungeons and smugglers carrying kerosine lamps a la Enid Blyton's children's mysteries and adventures..

I used to read Enid Blyton books when I was a schoolgirl in Australia... I remember several series about girls in boarding schools that I liked very much. I may still have them in a box somewhere. My younger sister read the "Naughtiest Girl" series and I seem to also remember the Famous Five. I'm not sure what an Enid Blyton holiday-maker would be. I'm a bit in shock about what I read about her on Wikipedia... her books seemed very harmless and enjoyable to me.

I did like the looks of some of those holiday cottages... definitely some places to get away from it all or to hole up and write a book.

That was Malory towers and St.Clares..and I cried to my parents that I wanted to go to Boarding School since it all seemed so much fun! I just read on Wiki that more books to the series was added by Pamela Cox in 2009...hm..hm.. Might just go back and relive them

The Enid Blyton style holiday I think is a reference to the Famous Five series where these five kids, siblings and cousins would find themselves in remote places and get entangled with smugglers, and dungeons etc. and do all kinds of investigative sleuth work...Five Go to Smuggler's Top..comes to mind.

I too just read wiki and find the criticism rather overboard.....maybe I will plan a Enid Blyton style 'holiday'....

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina