• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Aston Magna, Character Cottages, Forge Folly?

Julie

10+ Posts
We are 2 couples from the USA planning on 4 nights in the Cotswolds in late September after a week in London and an overnight somewhere between Stonehenge and Bath. Found this lovely modernized cottage on AirBnB, but am seeking some advice about staying in tiny Aston Magna and also about Character Cottages rental agency. The cottage, called Forge Folly looks lovely, but has not a one review either on AirBnB nor on the agency's website. The modern isn't so important, but having two king beds and two baths with shower is very appealing. It would be nice to be right in a village, but really doesn't seem that important since we'll have a car. Any thoughts or other suggestions? We will be doing some day walking and general touring around. Many thanks!

We spend a lot of time in Chipping Campden and know the Northern Cotswolds very well.

Aston Magna is a hamlet really, very tiny, only houses. We've driven through several times (we have friends who live nearby in another tiny hamlet), and the roads in that area are very very narrow lanes. You wouldn't be far (less than 10 minutes drive) from Moreton-in-Marsh, a bit further to Chipping Campden.

I'd personally prefer to base somewhere just a bit bigger, at least with a pub, where you can be a part of village life without having to always drive everywhere. You'd find some sort of village shop very handy as well. We love Chipping Campden and will be back there this summer for a month. We've rented in other villages and also done several walking trips in the area. The walking is outstanding.

The cottage does look nice. I especially like that outdoor area. I don't know the agency, but the website is well done and they seem to have many nice properties. The lack of reviews doesn't personally bother me, but you could write and ask them about this. Maybe it is a new listing? Or maybe they can give you some references.

I can personally recommend these two agency with lots of rentals in Chipping Campden: http://www.honeypotcottages.co.uk/ and http://www.campdencottages.co.uk/. I have always wanted to rent this cottage http://www.honeypotcottages.co.uk/little-orchard/ that was once the home of Graham Greene, but it's a bit more than we need for just my husband and me and on the wrong end of the village for where we need to be when we're there with our groups. I don't know if this would suit you...

Anyway, just my thoughts. I know you will love the Cotswolds.

I am booked up for the month of September, otherwise I would not be responding as I would be self advertising! I was interested in investigating Forge Cottage as I had not heard of it. It looks very newly done and swish and I suspect it has only just come on the market, hence the lack of reviews. I would not always be put off by lack of reviews. People have to start somewhere! But it does have two reviews on TripAdvisor for January and February this year! Aston Magna is a hamlet, rather than a village and I don't think it has a village shop but you have Moreton in Marsh, a few minutes away in the car. I know very little about Character Cottages except they have some very nice properties in the Cotswolds. However, as you probably know, by going through an agency, (and now the big listing sites with service fees) 99% of the time you will pay 15 - 20% more than if you go direct through an owner. But I understand that a lot of people are wary of booking direct and like the reassuring feeling of being with a bigger enterprise. It is in a good spot for exploring the Northern Cotswolds and there are local walks in the Moreton in Marsh area, perhaps even from your door.

Felicity, that looks like a good walk! (We have done parts of it, but not the whole circle... maybe this summer.) Our friends are in Dorn, and I think part of this trail goes by (maybe through) their farm.

I understand what you are saying about renting directly from the owner. I have rented 50+ places in Europe over the years and really do prefer to rent from owners when possible. We have a place in Provence that we rent out when we're not there, and it has become increasingly frustrating to reach potential guests. (Return guests, friends, referrals are always great.) It seems that agencies are very prevalent in the Cotswolds, maybe because of absentee owners who need other support from the agency besides just the booking service. I think a local agency can offer something of value because they should know the properties and may play a property management role as well. But you do pay for that...

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina