• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Back from Andalusia

Amy

100+ Posts
6BFEFEC5-4538-4800-8900-89B3C9526337.jpeg
We have just returned from our first international trip since Covid hit. We had actually cancelled a longer version of this trip the first week of March 2020. We decided to simplify and shorten our plan as we begin to emerge from the Omicron surge. We had nine days in Seville, an overnight in Cordoba and ended with three nights in Granada.

We flew Boston-MadridSeville on Iberia PremiumEconomy. Twelve hours in transit in a N95 mask isn’t the most comfortable, but after a while I didn’t notice it much. Most people in the airports were masked to some extent, although I did see some noses, tiny cloth masks, and bare faces sitting next to long emptied coffee cups. Our flight to Madrid was half empty, but the short connection to Seville was packed.

In Andalusia the outdoor mask mandate was lifted the week we arrived. Everyone masks indoors. Outside it seemed to be 50-50, with us and most of the older folks continuing to mask on the street. Most people are wearing kn95’s or n95’s or a surgical mask. Very few foreign tourists right now in Seville, we saw more in Granada at the Alhambra. Spain’s vaccination rate of adults is very high, but lags in children. The case rates are going down, but Covid still lurks.

Many restaurants have outdoor tables, most with heat lamps. We mostly ate lunches outdoors, would only eat inside if seated at an open window and with decent distancing. Dinners at the apartment. Restaurants in Andalusia are no longer asking to see vaccination proof before entering, but were our first few days. Many are jam packed inside, we avoided those and were stringent about masking everywhere when near people. All taxis we’ve taken had masked drivers who had windows open.

Most sites require pre ticketing, so we did more focused pre planning than usual for sightseeing. At this time it’s easy to get tickets for major sites the day before.

We stayed in a very comfortable apartment in Seville, about a 10 minute walk north of the Cathedral. Lively residential neighborhood, convenient and safe. We did the usual things— the immense cathedral, the Alcazar, wandering the Triana neighborhood, the Fine Arts Museum, the enchanting Palacio de La Contesa de Lebrija, Plaza de Espana, the markets, wandering the barrio Santa Cruz. Also did a really fun tapas tour with Shawn of Azahar Tapas Tours. https://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletapas/

Since our apartment came with parking, we rented a car instead of our previous plan of taking trains. We drove to the lovely seaside town of Cadiz to visit friends who are buying an apartment there, it’s a charming place. We drove to Cordoba, walked around and visited the Alcazar for the mosaics and garden. We took back roads to get to Granada, through beautiful hills of millions of olive trees.

In Granada we stayed in an apartment with a view of the cathedral. Since it was a weekend, Granada was very lively, and yes noisy. We enjoyed just walking around, popping into bars here and there for a drink and free tapa. We spent a very long time at the Nasrid Palaces at the Alhambra, a highlight for me.

Since getting a Covid test in Granada on a Sunday for our Monday flight home could have been problematic, we bought Qured antigen tests where they send you an antigen test kit you do while one of their video proctors observes. You then take a photo of the test strip with your passport and details, and upload it within 20 minutes for certification. No issues at the airports for our flights home, just an extra checkin in Madrid for Covid paperwork.

We are going to isolate for three days, then test to make sure we didn’t bring home an extra souvenir from the flight.

Oh no! So glad he tested postI’ve after you were home and not on your test before flying back home. How is he feeling?

He’s very congested and tired, like with a particularly gross cold.
We did have a contingency plan for if we had tested positive in Spain. Plan was to rent an apartment in the town where our friends live so they could deliver groceries, and spend a week catching up on reading and Netflix. Will have a similar plan for our Italy trip later this spring.

On edit—Food Delivery in Rome

Poor Larry! I hope you don’t get it Amy. It must have been from the plane or airports, don’t you think?

Steve does not want us to fly anywhere this year. I thought he was being too cautious but maybe not. In my current state (on steroids for Giant Cell Arteritis) I do not want to catch Covid.

So sorry! Glad it isn't worse. Our first trip to Europe since March 2020 will be in June, when we fly to Germany to be with my son and his family.

Thank you for posting. My husband and I were considering a trip to this area. There is certainly a lot to consider and your information was helpful. I hope your husband is recovering nicely and all is well!

Great report Amy, I hope Larry is feeling better and tests negative soon. thankfully you are both vaccinated and boosted. Having a contingency plan is key....until the US follows suit and no longer requires a negative test.

Lol, yes I had a cute little apartment with sea view balcony all picked out in Cadiz! Larry is feeling better, thanks. Thank you vaccines! I still think, even given our bad luck, that the trip was successful. We were quite careful without it being terribly burdensome, but did slip up on our second to last day in not asking to move to another table in a restaurant. Large group of unmasked young guys, probably not enough air flow. We think it likely that’s where we ran into the virus. And it was the one bad meal we had on the trip!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina