• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Barcelona Questions

devarae

100+ Posts
Hello folks!

My husband and I are considering spending a week in Barcelona in late January next year, hoping that it will be a pleasant break from the Maine winter and maybe a bit less crowded than it would be during other parts of the year.

Has anyone here been to Barcelona in the winter? And if so, did you find it pleasant?

I'd also love any advice folks have on which neighborhood to stay in. We are fans of walkable neighborhoods with quaint or artsy atmosphere that are close to the major sites, but are not necessarily right next to them.

Thank you in advance to anyone with thoughts or advice!

Dennis

100+ Posts
Hi:
Barcelona is great to visit any time of the year! We visited twice in mid-February and found it very pleasant. Temperatures ranged from about 10 to 15 degrees Celsius It was generally sunny. No guarantees on what 2023 will bring! At Weather Underground under the "More" button one can find historical weather summaries for places.

There were still crowds at the popular sites so it would be wise to purchase tickets in advance if possible.

We have stayed in a number of neighbourhoods over the years (Gothic Quarter, Poblenou, Eixample and Gracia). Of all of them, Gracia had the best neighbourhood feel. It is near Parc Guell and has good Metro connections to tourist areas. If it is your first time to Barcelona perhaps the Eixample area would suit your wishes. Although some reports state El Raval has become gentrified I would still avoid it.

Dennis

devarae

100+ Posts
Thank you so much Dennis! This is really encouraging and helpful to read! I will start taking a look at Graci and Eixample...

Jan55612

100+ Posts
We have been in Barcelona in the winter several times. Our stays have ranged from 6 to 8 weeks each time. The weather ranged from 60s (occasional 70s) in the daytime to 50s and high 40s at night. We generally wore layers. Our favorite neighborhood to stay in is the Eixample. The apartment we rented three times was in the Eixample, but only a few blocks from Gracia. We walked a lot and also used the Metro and buses. If you decide to go, I would be happy to give you more tips on restaurants and other places.

devarae

100+ Posts
Thank you so much Jan55612! I am about 80% sure we are going to go for it! Just waiting for the approval from my workplace for the time off, and I will hopefully be able to book our flights!

I'm looking at apartments now and definitely am drawn to both Eixample and Gracia based on what I have seen so far. If you have a link to the place you've stayed that you are willing to share I would be grateful to see it!

Jan55612

100+ Posts
Sorry, "my" apartment is no longer being rented. It was fabulous! Good luck with your search. I did a summary of places in Barcelona to eat, shop, etc. It isn't current, but many places are still there and very good. But, let me know if you have questions.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano