• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.
Jan55612

Travel Note Barcelona

Jan55612

100+ Posts
Jan55612 submitted a new resource:

Barcelona - Tips on resources, restaurants, shops, and more.

Over the last six years, my husband and I have had several extended stays in Barcelona. During the winters of 2017 and 2018, we rented an apartment for six weeks or more during the period of January through early March. There are many well-known sites in Barcelona and I will not focus on them, instead, I will try to share a few of my favorite restaurants, shops, resources for finding lesser-known fun and interesting things to do, and other tips on “living” in Barcelona. We have always stayed...
Read more about this resource...

marshajc

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Hi Jan, You mentioned that the last apartment was the best. We are looking for a two bedroom, two bath for September/Oct. What rental company do you use? We've stayed in Gracia on our last two trips, which we like a lot, but my husband thinks he might like to try a different neighborhood, maybe El Born. Any thoughts?

Jan55612

100+ Posts
I have used HomeAway/VRBO for a couple of rentals, but the last two, longer stays, I used Sabbatical Homes. I have only stayed in the Eixample, but have loved it! I am sensitive to noise, so I have stayed away from El Born because I was afraid it might be too noisy for me.

marshajc

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Thanks, Jan. We've used VRBO for years and Sabbatical Homes is new to me. So thanks for the suggestion.

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll arrive in Barcelona on a Thursday night (8 p.m.), and will then have all day and all night on both Friday and Saturday. Previously we've visited Barcelona as stops on a cruise ship, so maybe 8 hours max! I'm looking forward to maximizing our time in Barcelona, and hope to find something different in your notes! Thanks1

marshajc

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We've spent several weeks in Barcelona and are headed back there this fall. It's one of our favorite cities. Here are some suggestions.
Find a sardana performance. The info office often has schedules. We found the dancers on one of the grassy boulevards and thoroughly enjoyed watching the variety of people participating in this circle dance. It was a moving experience to see this traditional community event.
Michael took a cooking class at Cook and Taste (Paradís 3) with a pre-class tour through La Boqueria market. He enjoyed both.
The classic Senyor Parellada (Argenteria, 37), is a lovely, old traditional Catalan restaurant with excellent food and service. It looks formal, with crystal chandeliers, waiters in black coats and good art and lighting, but the waiters are low-key and friendly. Using the Metro to get to Barceloneta is easy. Our choice for lunch, Can Majó (Almirall Aixada, 23), had a 45-minute wait for terrace seating. (Be sure to reserve ahead if you want to eat on the beach.)
The MACBA museum (free for seniors), which we feel has better contemporary art than what we’d seen at the Guggenheim. The interesting, stark-white, angular building has interior ramps leading to each floor, offering different perspectives as you walk up and down the ramps. The Museu Picasso (€9 per person), is wonderful; our second visit.
We took what we think is a worthwhile tour (€9) of the Gran Teatre de Liceu, one of the largest opera houses in Europe. It is very beautiful and has a lovely gift shop.
Try to visit the most spectacularly beautiful building I have ever been in. It is hard to describe the Palau de la Música — the domed stained-glass ceiling; the ceramic columns, each one different; the ceramic roses on the ceiling and walls, and, most stunning of all, the sculpted music muses on the stage walls that seemed to come to life when lit. Best seen if you can attend a performance.
We attended a concert (€44 for two) at Teatre Lliure, a small theater in the Gràcia neighborhood, which was very interesting.
I hope you enjoy Barcelona as much as we do.

rogers

10+ Posts
Indeed, Barcelona is a beautiful city, there are lots of sites to see. But what I love the most is the wine and cava with tapas tours. We've been to Andreu Xarcuteria i Tastets l'Illa, El Nacional, La Cava (de la Pepita), El Xiringo and Irati Taverna Basca. Those are great places. Also what I like about Barcelona is that you can rent an electric car or scooter (since it was spring we decided to rent a scooter..we used vesping.com..just in case) and see the most of the city within a couple of days

marshajc

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I hope you reserved a table on the terrace and that you will enjoy it. I'm looking forward to a return visit in September.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

New resources