• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Basilicata and Umbria in May

Pauline

Forums Admin
The pre-Easter trip to the Amalfi Coast is off and an after-Easter trip has been booked!

We fly into Rome, drive to Basilicata (overnighting somewhere on the way), and spend 10 nights at @Valerie 's house. We are cat sitting her wonderful Lucano (the cat that loves my knitted vegetables). We spent four nights in her village two years ago, so know it a bit, but now we get to really explore the area.

Because of our #walk1000miles commitment we will concentrate on walking and hiking. Walking on the white roads from her village. Hiking in nearby Castelmezzano (in the Gallipoli Cognato Regional Park). Driving into the Cilento National Park to hike. Plus exploring the area nearby. And looking after the cat of course.

When Valerie returns we will drive up to Spoleto where I have booked an apartment for a week. We spent a week there the year before last and loved the town (we had been there twice before that). There are three good walks you can do from the town. Rebecca wrote about one of them - we did this one on our last visit and will do it again. I want to drive up to Spello to do the hike Rebecca wrote about (which we've never done even though we spent two weeks in Spello years ago).

At the end we fly home from Rome airport.

It is such a high when you finally make the bookings! I've been working on details, figuring out where to go, how to get there, for days. Now it is done!

We loved this caffe in Spoleto and will be staying near it again.

spoleto-caffe-0408.jpg

I completely agree about it being a relief to have everything booked! sounds like a great trip! sounds like the timing worked out great for both you and @Valerie , and for Lucano. I'd love it if my vacation rental came with it's own cat!
It comes with our cat, Lucano, and a bonus cat, too! Lucano adopted a friend, who hangs around a lot. (We don't let that one inside, but he runs the hood with Lucano and they sleep on the terrace together.)

Sounds fabulous!!! We thought Trivigno was charming. Sorry we missed you @Valerie the day we were there....as I recall, you were at a wedding - perhaps for this lovely bride? We met this bridal party when we walked down from the piazza outside the church.

IMG_9496.JPG

The wild orchids will be blooming in the Cilento during your stay! http://www.walking-trekking.it/valle_orchidee.htm
I read about that walk and was planning to do it! Good news that the orchids are blooming.

It looks like there are several good walks in the national park near you. And a trail from Castelmezzano. Plus the white roads from your village.

I thought we would park at the bottom of Anzi and walk to the top - that would be fun.

I think we will make our 20 miles/week of walking!

It has turned cold and rainy. :( I hope it clears up before you arrive. Judith said it's snowing in Umbria! :eek:

There is a walk to Anzi along "the old road" from outside Trivigno, or you can park below and walk up (they do that for the procession of San Donato every summer). There are several trails from Castelmezzano (I'll tell you about them when you get here.) And several leading out from our village that you can do as a loop.
Wendy - Sorry to miss you. Next time!

It has turned cold and rainy. :( I hope it clears up before you arrive. Judith said it's snowing in Umbria! :eek:

A cold snap is hitting France and Italy, but it looks like it is only for a few days. Temps in Potenza starting Sunday, when we arrive, are low to mid 60s F. Our weather here has been mid 50sF and it feels like summer to me. I've been in short sleeves for weeks. Mid 60s will be like a heatwave for me! (But I will pack our heavy fleeces and our rain jackets.)

screensnap-potenza.jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina