• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Basque region of France

chachalaca

100+ Posts
okay....anyone have travel experience in the Basque region? Help! Summer 2017 is calling me there. Worth it?

Thank you all,
Laura

I was there for over a week in September (with @Parigi and her husband). Yes, it's worth it!

We flew Air France from Paris to Biarritz, rented a car, and drove to San Sebastian. It was an easy drive (I drove) , but plan your parking in advance. Nancy and David had scouted parking garages, but the old town is filled with one-way blocks, so it took three passes to find the correct entrance to the underground garage.

We spent a long weekend in San Sebastian, Spain. It's an enchanting combination of old and new, with many tapas bars, the oceanfront, riverfront.

We then drove to the French Basque countryside, staying within walking distance of Sare. Beautiful views of the Pyrenees, and lovely drives into the mountains (David did the driving on the backroads, as he was familiar with the location).

During the day, we took excursions to various villages (coast and mountains) and the garden/estate, Villa Arnaga, (home of the author of Cyrano de Bergerac, Edmond Rostand). I loved that estate! It was a highlight of the trip.

We were there for a week in October. I have posted a report in the trip report section here. The relevant week is Week 4.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina