• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best Favorite carry-on suitcase?

Linda Yoder

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I’m a don’t check my bag kind of girl. I like to hit the road running! I have had a old 2 wheel Briggs & Riley carry-on that I have used for years. The older I get the less like like dragging my bag behind me. I really would like a 4 wheel expandable type. The new Briggs is a little steep for me at 500.00. Are there others of you out there that only use carry-on even on International trips? If so, what are your favorite bags?
Linda

Hi Linda,

OMG, this is the bane of my travel love! My bag has "gone missing" about 6 times. No matter who I travel with and regardless of country, if a bag is going to jump ship it's mine. I now exclusively carry-on (unless I'm traveling in winter w/coats & boots OR it's a non-stop flight and I'm enjoying the ability to do so).

I've never found "the perfect bag". I have never invested in a luxury bag, mine is usually something under $100. I just saw this bag https://shop.eaglecreek.com/switchback-international-carryon/d/1584C3555?CategoryId=115 recently and am curious. I'd like to see it in person, try it out/try it on. It's more expensive, but...maybe??? There's a youtube video that shows how it comes apart.

Whenever I have felt good about my carry-on (its weight, function & load) it's been because I've packed perfectly - a rare occurrence . I'm really interested in the answers you receive!

-Laura

I have a 2 wheel carry on my TravelPro that I love. Hopefully sometime in the future I can justify buying the 4 wheel version, because I agree that it is much easier to wheel around a 4 wheeler.

https://www.zappos.com/p/travelpro-maxlite-4-21-expandable-spinner-blue/product/8757459/color/158

I like that it weighs less than many of the other brands I tried, is very basic inside (no random dividers), is soft sided, and comes in a color other than black. It also had a decent expander zipper, in case you need more room on the way back.

When I was searching for a carry-on, I ordered a few from Zappos, tried packing them & walking around with them inside to see how they worked. I returned the ones I didn't want.

For international travel, I have TUMI Voyageur carry-on 4-wheeler and the under seat bag that slides over the handles. I didn't pay full price -- purchased on sale at the store. I wouldn't ever check this bag because it's soft-sided. It's very lightweight, which is important to me for lifting and carrying up stairs (the apartment that I rent in Paris has 65 narrow, spiral steps).

If I think there's a chance that an airline in Europe may insist on checking a wheeled carry-on, then I take my Samsonite 4-wheeler because it's a much heavier bag (and the reason I don't like to hoist it up into the overhead). Once after being checked instead of in the cabin, I noticed that a piece of plastic reinforcement on a corner cracked. It must have taken a real beating for that to have happened because it's sturdy!

Before paying full retail price, watch sites such as Nordstrom Rack for deeply discounted prices on previous season's models. They sometimes have TravelPro, a brand that I see often gets recommended.

When we travel, we almost always check bags, but I also always take a good sized carry-on. I have experimented over the years and now have two bags, one of which I carry on every trip.

If I have all the clothing I need in my checked bag, then I carry my Tom Binh Ristretto for my Microsoft Surface Pro and for my on-plane needs.

We often go to Europe from Arizona, and to eliminate long flights from Phoenix, we usually fly American first class to Boston or New York (where we stay overnight) and then Virgin Premium Economy on to Heathrow. We begin most of our European adventures with that flight to Heathrow no matter what our final destination. For these flights, I carry on my Tom Binh Tri Star which will hold all my computer stuff plus enough clothes to use while overnighting in Boston or New York. Tom Binh bags are expensive, but I love them.

I travel minimally with carry on. I prefer to check bags.

Normally I take a Longchamp Le Pliage as my travel handbag; this can fit a lot in it, and also a Kanken backpack. Kanken

The children take a small backpack each and DH shares mine. Inside we carry on items that cannot be lost like teddybears, iPads, expensive jewellery and cashmere scarves.

I
For international travel, I have TUMI Voyageur carry-on 4-wheeler and the under seat bag that slides over the handles. I didn't pay full price -- purchased on sale at the store. I wouldn't ever check this bag because it's soft-sided. It's very lightweight, which is important to me for lifting and carrying up stairs (the apartment that I rent in Paris has 65 narrow, spiral steps).

If I think there's a chance that an airline in Europe may insist on checking a wheeled carry-on, then I take my Samsonite 4-wheeler because it's a much heavier bag (and the reason I don't like to hoist it up into the overhead). Once after being checked instead of in the cabin, I noticed that a piece of plastic reinforcement on a corner cracked. It must have taken a real beating for that to have happened because it's sturdy!

Before paying full retail price, watch sites such as Nordstrom Rack for deeply discounted prices on previous season's models. They sometimes have TravelPro, a brand that I see often gets recommended.
I have a TUMI Bag that slips over the handle of my suitcase that I Love! I did go into TUMI to check out their wheeled bags and decided they were out of my league. I will check Nordstrom rack. Great suggestion!

We check bags. I usually pack a Longchamp expandable bag that is folded and snapped down to a small size so I can open it up for the ride home, with whatever I can legally carry on. Also have a regular Longchamp tote for the next trip; wish there was more organization to the tote - might wind up with a healthy back bag instead.

I have a 22-inch Travelpro and a good-sized matching carryon that slides over the handles. They are very roomy and lightweight. They were an impulse purchase but are now my favorites. I just happened to spot them at Macy's marked down to about $90 for both pieces.

I also backed a Kickstarter project for a bag - Anvanda. A Great F*cking Bag. Sorry, that's how it's advertised. Should get it by June, hopefully will be the answer to all of my bag prayers - I've said that for years so won't be holding my breath

I have a 22-inch Travelpro and a good-sized matching carryon that slides over the handles. They are very roomy and lightweight. They were an impulse purchase but are now my favorites. I just happened to spot them at Macy's marked down to about $90 for both pieces.
...And if you wear your "Shouldit" scarf, you've got it made! ;) I finally caved and got rid of the scarf, thinking of you the entire time, Chris. I never did use it.

When traveling to Europe, I usually check one bag ( a Briggs & Riley 24") and carry-on with a Briggs & Riley rolling cabin bag. The cabin bag will connect on the top of my checked bag while getting into and out of the airport. I love the size and quality of both of the bags. It isn't an inexpensive choice, but these bags have worn well. Plus, if the airline damages a bag, Briggs & Riley will repair it for free!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina