• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best neighborhood for older person in Lisbon

sharonov

10+ Posts
I’m going solo to Portugal in May and will stay in Lisbon for about 6 of my 12 days (haven’t finalized an itinerary.). I’m looking at Airbnb’s but am not sure which would be the best neighborhood for me. I’m a spry 79 but don’t do hills and steps as well as I did the last time I visited Portugal (1970). So would Alfama be out of the question? I generally like the old neighborhoods. I will be going to museums and other attractions; nightlife is of no interest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon:
We found the Baixa and Rossio areas to be flat with easy access to other parts of the city by Metro, funicular or elevator. Then there is the venerable Tram 28 for access to the Alfama district if you wish to visit the castle and viewpoints. The tram to Belem is also close by.

The downside is these areas do not have the charm of Alfama. Also ensure your rental has an elevator if located on upper floors. One place we rented was 3 floors of torturous narrow stairs.

Enjoy your trip. You inspire to this old codger to start pulling out maps and travel guides again.
Dennis

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina