• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best paper map?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be driving from Barcelona to the Lot/Dordogne region of France and back. Although I plan to buy a GPS unit (yes, I know I can download stuff to my phone, and somehow save the maps, I'm still not sure how to do that!), but I still want an old fashioned paper map to get an overview. The one thing I dislike about GPS is not being able to see an entire area like I can with Google maps, and a paper map should help with planning. Any suggestions for this area? I don't need a map for all of France, just the regions we're visiting, plus Spain, or maybe a separate one for Spain? Thanks.

I like paper maps too. I think it's good to really have a good sense of the "big picture," which you don't get with a GPS.

Michelin has great maps, which you can buy online at Amazon (free shipping with Amazon Prime). We use Map 329 for the Dordogne. I don't know how much of the Lot is shown, as the Lot is on a separate map. They also have regional maps (Dordogne is on the Aquitaine map, 523, but the Lot is in the Midi-Pyrenees region... you'd have to see how much of the adjoining region might be included.)

The maps aren't that expensive. Maybe you could order one and then see what else you need.

We drive mostly by the road signs in France, but I always study a map before setting out someplace I haven't been before.

I use the Michelin maps too and order them before a trip. They have good detail at 1:200,000 (1 inch = 3.16 miles). I always use a GPS when traveling, but I like to have the map open too. Sometimes the GPS loses the signal and sometimes it picks a really stupid route - that's when you are happy you have a map.

I ordered #329 (Dordogne) and #337 (Lot). I wish I knew which map includes the Barcelona to Carcassonne to the Dordogne area - you have the know the names of the areas, and I'm not that familiar with France or Spain! I thought Michelin had some sort of online map of the entire country/region so you'd know which maps to order!

If you look on my Vacation Rental pages, I have maps of each country showing the regions:
Vacation Rentals France
Vacation Rentals Spain
That gives you an overview of the regions and where they are.

On those pages I link to Wikipedia pages with more complete information.
FRANCE
Wikipedia - Regions of France
Wikipedia - Departments of France
Note that people frequently use departments when referring to areas of France - like the Dordogne, which is a department in the region Aquitaine.

SPAIN
Wikipedia - Communities of Spain
: Autonomous communities of Spain.
Wikipedia - Provinces of Spain: Communities are divided into Provinces.

Michelin sells maps by region of France.
On this page they show the map of France and the map numbers.
This page shows their maps of Spain.

You probably need these Michelin maps:
Spain - Map 574 - Aragon Cataluna (scale 1/400 000)
France - Map 525 - Midi-Pyrénées (scale 1/200 000)
France - Map 526 - Languedoc-Roussillon (scale 1/200 000)

Note that the Spain map is not the same level of detail as the France maps. And you may not need Map 526 - depends on your route.

Another way to find information about regions is on Google Maps. Search for a region and you get a map showing the border of the region. For example, search for Aquitaine, France and you see a map showing the whole region and its borders.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...!1s0xd54a0293379455d:0xc2990cc209948809?hl=en

Or search by department in France. For example, Dordogne, France - and you see the department.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...!1s0x47ff7a7475a8138b:0x3066517481126e0?hl=en

OK, more questions. As mentioned above, I've ordered 2 regional maps for the areas we'll be visiting, but I still need a map for our Barcelona-Carcassonne-St Cyprien drive, spread over 2 days, and I need a map that will help us during our drive from Cahors back to the Barcelona airport area. Are both these routes easy enough that all I'll need is a pre-printed Google map? If not, do I need a map for (southern) France as well as one Spain? @Pauline , I'm not sure if the maps you suggested includes Carcassonne- is there a way to tell?

Last edited:
Is there a way to tell? Yes, Google Carcassonne! That tells you it's in the Aude département, which is in the Languedoc-Rousillon region. So Michelin map 526, in Pauline's list, will take you from the Spanish border up to Carcassonne, At a scale suitable for driving.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina