• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best travel websites/apps

Something I discovered a few of years ago is some of the official tourism sites in the town you're visiting may have an application for the town.

When we went to Biot, France, I downloaded their application and it took us on a tour of the town using the GPS on our phone to tell us exactly where we were and what we were looking at. I did the same thing in Dijon, France and the application took us on the owl tour of Dijon, using the GPS on our phone and told us exactly what we were looking at.

Both of the applications worked extremely well.

Any good app for keeping track of your membership numbers--e.g. frequent flyer numbers, hotel numbers etc?

I had Travel Wallet, which used to even update your balance and give you an alert when points were expiring, but it is either no longer free, or no longer supported. (I don't mind paying for a good app)

I don't travel that much, so mostly just want to have all of my numbers in one place.

Tripit, which I use for my itinerary, has a point tracking feature. I love it for keeping the itinerary, but have never tried the point tracking feature.

Thanks. I just got Tripit a few weeks back as recommended by my employer. I see the points tracking functionality is in the paid version, so i'll think about that option.

Award Wallet keeps track of points, with exceptions such as Southwest Airlines, which blocks third-party access, and it also shows upcoming reservations. My premium version might be from an unlimited-use promo from the View from the Wing blog, which you might find in a search, but on my page I get the note
Free upgrade coupon for the first time users (10 left): free-uafpcf

Momondo.com gives you best airline prices day by day for up to 6 months in the future. I saved nearly $100 by picking flights that are on Sundays (who knew). BTW the tracking seems to be origination/destination sensitive. So flying from the states might give different days.

Warning with them. They have a cookie that seems to be deeply embedded. I checked airfares on the 15th but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Went back 5 days later (after deleting browsing history) and got the fares. Coordinated the search with girlfriend who lives close by. Her computer pulled up entirely different cheaper fares.

Flying to Asia? Edreams has a lot of the smaller, cheaper airlines in their search engine. I have seen flights on Laos airlines and even one to London on Vietnam air.

Couple more. www.trustedhousesitters.com. free places to stay all over the world just for pet sitting and watching someone's house. Got our entire summer stay in London through them. Did 2 weeks in Cambridge 3 years ago. Looking at September in Dublin.

www.intervac.com house swapping website oldest swapping organization in existence. Originally back in the 60s they would publish a catalogue and you would use snail mail to arrange a swap. Catalog came out in September. Original users were mostly teachers. It could take months and at least one very expensive transatlantic call. In the same vein home exchange.com.

If you are an airbandb host take a look at homestayin.com. Asians looking for accommodations in US, Europe, English centric countries. I have friends who hosted a student from china. They will be flying to Quangzhou next month and staying with his family for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I have just discovered this very cool train app called Rail Planner Eurail/Interrail. According to the description, "It provides offline timetable information for international European trains and connections, simplifying cross-European travel." I have only tried putting in Italian train stations but it is supposed to work for all European train travel. I have tried it both using wifi and in airplane mode and it works both ways. It allows you to put stars next to stations you look up as well as routes you look up to review later and it shows both just the stops from your departing station to arrival station as well as the entire route, which I find very valuable when looking for the binario and knowing the start/end location of the train. I don't know if there is an option to purchase tickets with this app. I am using it for information only but it may also allow you to purchase a ticket.

It definitely will be a bonus for me if I end up not taking a laptop with me and will save a lot of paper print outs of train options for each of my travel days.

I wanted to give an update on the Rail Planner Eurail/Interrail app. It was such a help during my trip but unfortunately during the last couple of days, all of the regional train options have been deleted. Now the only options/ info about train routes are for the Intercity and high speed trains (trains that require a reservation). I am guessing the same thing has happened for train options in other countries for this app.

I checked the app store last night and found an app called Trenit find trains in Italy. It seems to be almost as good as far as the routes displayed. The Rail Planner app showed both just the stops from your departing station to arrival station as well as the entire route. The Trenit app shows the station before your departing station and the end arrival station for the route. I guess that is all the info you would really need.

The Trenit app does not work offline but it does show prices for the train tickets, including economy, base, etc and which ones are still available which I do not believe was available with the Rail Planner app. I am not sure if you can purchase tickets with the Trenit app but the pricing info is helpful! There is an in-app purchase for this app. That might be for purchasing tickets or just to remove the ads. The ads do not seem to be too bothersome on the free version.

While on my trip, I took a tiny regional train from Brescia to Iseo. This train provided no info/announcements for any of the stops and many of the train stations were so small that it was impossible to know what train station the train was stopping at when looking out the window unless you happened to be seated next to the window right where the tiny sign on the station was located. You would need some prior knowledge of the area/train stops, a list of the stops for the train written down, or an app like I had that provided info about each stop on the route. In the past, I always printed out info with all the stops from screenshots or wrote down the stops if there were not too many for the trains I planned to take. This was much more work though than the handy app. I still asked after every stop to make sure I did not miss my stop! The train was running later and later after each stop so I could not depend on the time that my train was supposed to arrive in Iseo.

One guy got off at the wrong stop. He got on my train and talked to one of the train guys about his situation and was told he could either stay on the train until the last stop and then the train would be returning past the stop he got on and then take him to his stop or he could get back off and wait for the train to finish its route and then return back towards Brescia, which would take about an hour and then get back on to go to his stop! I am really glad I had that app and did not miss my train stop in Iseo! Looking at the Trenit app, I believe it would work similarly but you would need data on your phone for it to work (unless you took screenshots while you had wifi).

Another train app my friend in Italy recommended is called InfoTreno. This app will show the train along the route and if it is delayed at all with the number of minutes as well as the exact time it should be arriving at your departure stop (with the added delayed time calculated and changing after each stop). You need to know your train number to input into the app. You also need data or wifi to use the app. We tried it out for the train I was taking after my visit with her. It worked great! It is a free app.

AND while looking for a replacement app for the Rail Planner app, I found an app called Trenord. It seems a little more complicated than the Trenit app but if you are taking a lot of trains in the Lombardia region, I am guessing it would be a helpful app.

For train info, received wisdom says you'll find what you want on: https://www.google.ca/search?q=eura...0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=themaninseat61

RomeAddict, I'm sorry but, no third party sites gives you the best prices every time including Momondo "gives you best airline prices day by day for up to 6 months in the future." or "Opodo good for hotel accommodation prices beats any of them." You may believe that and they may want you to believe that but it just isn't true.

Need proof? Try a search on Opodo for a 7 night stay in the Hotel Bellevue, Wiesen, Switzerland. Opodo shows me 871 Euros for the 7 nights/2 people/with breakfast. From this Friday night to next Friday morning. The hotel's own website shows 80 GBP per night. So let's, convert them both to one currency and see what it shows. 871 Euros equals 765 GBP. Divide that 765 by 7 to get a per night price and you get 109 GBP per night. Oops, Opodo is 29 GDP higher or. $36.89 USD per night. That's a total for the week of $258!

NO third party site gets you the lowest price every time. Don't believe their hype and don't rely on any one site to find what you want. Always check multiple sites including the hotel's own site and then PHONE the hotel directly to book.

Making blanket statements that one site or another is 'best' every time, can only mislead readers.

Good news for the Rail Planner Eurail/Interrail app. There was an update and all the regional trains with all the stops show up again! Yay! I wonder if the reason the regional trains stopped showing up on the app during the last couple of days I was in Italy was because the 10th or 11th of June is when the new train schedule starts. Anyways, it works now!

I also did a search for trains in both France and Switzerland and the little regional trains also show up. If you are traveling by train, this app is very helpful. The best part about this app is that it does not require wifi or a data connection.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina