• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Information Bologna tower now requires a reservation

susan

100+ Posts
Climbing the Torre degli Asinelli in Bologna now requires an online reservation. From what I remember, the cost is the same. Here is the website for online reservations. The website also provides some interesting info about the history of the tower as well as other info about the tower under the discover tab. I guess it's good to keep numbers controlled but no more spur of the moment, let's climb the tower anymore.

Not such a bad move, as if there are too many people trying to pass on the stairs. it can get uncomfortable. However it would also be a shame if a visitor was there, there were few people already inside, yet they lose out on the experience and the city on their money. I suppose with smartphones it's not too difficult to book it whilst stood outside.

Update... tickets can also be purchased from the Tourist Office, located in Piazza Maggiore (info from blog link below).

I have climbed the Torre degli Asinelli three times now (all before the renovations). I was planning to eventually add more info about climbing this tower along with a few photos from my climbs but then I found this wonderful post - Climbing Bologna's Asinelli Tower, written by Silvia Donati, a freelance journalist and native Bolognese.

Silvia has recently climbed the tower since it has reopened. Her blog post is definitely worth a read if you have any interest in climbing the tower or just want to know more about the Torre degli Asinelli. She also includes some wonderful photos. I checked with her and she said it was fine to include her link in this forum. I'm pretty excited to just find her blog - Bologna Uncovered - as it provides some great info on Bologna and Emilia-Romagna.

Last edited:
Seems a good site, with good variety.

One of the older articles '3 things you never knew about Bologna' mentions the (mostly) hidden canals. That bit will have been inspired by a tourist office leaflet highlighting the various locations around the city. Whilst some locations may seem a little underwhelming (others were more striking), the overall experience of trotting around the city to see these glimpses was very good. Sometimes we get too focused on the central part of the city, and venturing outwards often gives a fuller perspective on a city, and this was a fine excuse to do so.

If tickets are available, you could still book it right away. Earlier this year when I was in Bologna they just closed the visitation a few days earlier for renovations. Statue of Neptune was also under renovations (though, you could still have a guided tour of the renovations and a very close-up view of the statue).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina