• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Booking With FF Miles - Keep Checking

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We know we'll be flying from Italy back to the states in November, and we also knew we'd want to use FF miles for that flight. I think the magic number is 330 - FF flights usually open up 330 days in advance - so I was online in December watching and waiting. We just want basic seats and the cost was 22,500 miles per person, but the itineraries vary from day to day. some days you find different connection cities, different departure times, etc.

After watching for several weeks, and only seeing flights American airlines flights from Rome going through either London or Madrid, I finally settled on what I thought were the best times for us and I booked FCO-LHR-CLT, arriving at about 6 p.m., then we'd spend the night in Charlotte and fly to Tampa the next morning. Not perfect, but doable. I still checked back every day, hoping for a better, more direct itinerary. Yesterday I found a FCO-PHL-TPA flight that leaves Rome at a reasonable hour, arrives in Philly at a reasonable hour, and lets us continue on to Tampa the next morning.

Of course it took a total of FIVE phone calls to get it rebooked correctly - we'd each used miles from our individual accounts and for some reason Art's miles weren't redeposited from the cancelled flight, so the new flight wouldn't book because he needed more miles. At long last I received the confirmation email and now we're all set!
Just like with car rental prices, keep checking both airlines and hotels for better rates.

When you booked the FCO-LHR-CLT leg, weren't the taxes/fees half the cost of just buying a ticket?

I can understand Art's miles not being redeposited right away. My experience is those kind of transactions usually take a while. They're fast to charge, sloooooow to credit. :D

The taxes/fees for the original FCO-LHR-CLT-TPA were $97. The taxes/fees for the FCO-PHL-TPA flight are $67.

Regarding the changes, the process for my ticket was completed in less than an hour, but I still hadn't received anything about Art's ticket. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be a quick process, because they had to cancel, redeposit, re-book, and withdraw miles, as well as credit our CC for the original taxes, then re-charge for the new taxes. The fact that mine went through so quickly just made me more anxious about Art's ticket, and it's a good thing I was persistent. After 4 phone calls, somebody finally got it right.

You mentioned the changing itineraries as you looked for flights. One thing I've learned is to clear your browsing data regularly; I clear mine daily. If you don't the airlines know what you've been looking at and may try to shift you to other flights, etc.

Being the paranoid person that I am, I use a VPN with different locations every day. AND I use the incognito mode when searching.
Good tips. I seldom use it, but when I prefer anonymity I use the TOR browser.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina