• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

British passport

Luke_S

Hey!
I am an australian and am heading to europe on a one way ticket next march to work/travel.
I am eligible to get my british passport which will make things a lot easier. What does that actuallu mean for me in europe for travel and work? Will i still need working visas in europe?
Thanks

Hi Luke
At the moment no - no visas needed for any EU country. However Brexit has rather thrown this all up in the air, so the simple answer is we don't know what the situation will be this time next year, and it feels we're not much closer to finding out.

A British passport does come at a sizeable cost, but if work are paying for it, then it would be advantageous (but IIRC that means having to give up your Aussie passport). They now even make you sit an exam to prove your understanding of British culture, so if you could start drinking a bit more tea, muttering under your breath (but never complaining) and learning to be pretty rubbish at sports, then you should be fine.

In terms of visas without a British passport, it varies significantly. Ireland have really tightened it up and the process can be drawn out, even with the work/role all agreed. Poland much easier. These are two places I've known team members have direct experience of getting work visas. If moving around quite a bit, then it still should be a big help to get that UK passport.

Hope this helps
Ian

Thanks heaps!
Yeah the whole brexit thing is why i was unsure what the go was, couldnt really find any clear info.

I had no idea about giving up aussie passport and sitting an exam? Are you sure thats not just if your applying for citizenship?

Hi Luke
I can't say for sure, but do remember someone in Australia c. 15 years ago saying if they got another passport, they'd have to give up their Aussie one. Best to investigate, and hopefully they were wrong / it's changed.

In terms of citizenship vs. passport and the test, I may have got them confused (others will hopefully chime in), but do know the passport is very expensive (my partner is a Kiwi and has looked at it and the cost was more than the benefit - she has permanent residency via ancestry, so it's a pain having to wait in the non-EU line & fill out a landing card, but that's the worst of it)

Regards
Ian

The exam is for citizenship, not passport. I claimed my British citizenship based on my mother being born there. I did not take an exam. Once I had the citizenship I got my passport. I still hold my US and Irish passports.

My husband got British citizenship by being married to a British citizen (me) and living in the UK for 3 years. He would have had to write the exam, but was exempted because of age.

So if you are a citizen and are just applying for a passport, no exam. And you can have other passports unless Australia doesn’t allow it.

but do know the passport is very expensive

If I remember right it was getting naturalised (me) that was expensive. About £1000 I think. But the year after I did it, they lowered the fee. I don’t think Steve paid that much to apply for citizenship. For a passport it wasn’t expensive.

Thanks for all that, heaps of help.
ill just be applying for the passport to use for easier travelling pretty much, both parents were born over there so i am eligable to get it.

i thought the fees had been lowered but i didnt realise it was that low!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina