• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Buying advance tickets for Heathrow to Oxford Bus

Jean M

10+ Posts
Greetings, fellow travelers
I am attempting to buy tickets on the Airline Heathrow to Oxford bus for April 13. Somewhere I read that even if one buys tickets in advance, it is still possible to take an earlier or later bus if seating is available. This is important and helpful if true, since one has no idea how long it will take to get through customs, collect luggage, etc. I also believe tickets are cheaper if bought in advance. The site is really not helpful on this score.
Nonetheless, the difficulty I am having is that the bus schedule (and consequent ability to buy tickets) runs only through April 6. That has been the case for several weeks. I've written to the bus company to ask when the tickets from April 7 onward (the schedule apparently changes on that date) and have received no response. The schedule is posted so that can't be the problem. All I can say is, What the heck?.
I recently read a post on USA Today which suggested one can merely show up without a ticket and pay the driver. The bus site, however, says tickets must be purchased 36 hours in advance. I would just show up if I thought my husband and I could just get on the next bus and the cost would not prohibitively higher.
On a side note, I see the National Express bus goes into London and takes 3 hours to get to Oxford as opposed to 90 minutes on the Airline. I do have to say their site is much more efficient. It's just the wrong route.
I see from earlier posts that some of you have taken this bus and would appreciate any advice and your experiences. Thank you.

Thank you, Susan, for your reply.
Today, by some miracle, the ongoing schedule and consequent ability to book and pay for tickets appeared on the website.
I knew this site would help but had no idea how much. It's good to have friends in high places.
And I did confirm, by the way, that you can use prebooked tickets on earlier and later bus trips, just so long as a seat is available.

We took the bus from Heathrow to Oxford last year. It was very easy. Our flight arrived late the night before, so we spent the night at the airport and didn't have the uncertainty about what time we could take the bus. As I recall, I bought it with an open return, and later went back and booked a specific return from Oxford back to Heathrow.

What website did you use, Jean? (I bought through the National Express website.)

Kathy

Hello, Kathy. Thanks for writing. I was delighted that the day after I posted the query above, the schedule and booking opened for my date. The site indicates that even if you buy a ticket for a specific time, with international fights you can use your ticket anytime within 24 hours of the ticketed time. This is great because no matter how carefully we plan, we never know, do we?
I wanted to book with the Oxford Bus Company (ttps://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/heathrow/). They travel directly to Oxford from Heathrow and do not go into London first. Nor do they require a transfer as do National Express. Further, Oxford Bus has several drop off locations in Oxford and National Express only two. The Oxford Bus stops on the High Street, not far from the Old Bank Hotel where we stay.
I also wanted to pay in advance because that's the kind of traveler I am. I like knowing what's going to happen, at least to the extent I can. It's pretty silly to think that the bus for Oxford will be so oversold that one can't get a seat, but again we never know.
On the issue of booking ahead, by using the tips on this site and the Man in Seat 61 website, I have purchased train tickets from Oxford to London (as we wend our way homeward at the end of our trip) for 5.50 per person by buying ahead when the regular fare is 23 per person. Quite a savings.
Thanks for your support. I wouldn't travel to Europe without consulting the generous, experienced folk who post on ST and now Slow Europe.

I wanted to book with the Oxford Bus Company (ttps://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/heathrow/). They travel directly to Oxford from Heathrow and do not go into London first. Nor do they require a transfer as do National Express. Further, Oxford Bus has several drop off locations in Oxford and National Express only two.

Thanks for this link. There are many more direct route options from Oxford to Heathrow than I found with National.

PS -- @PokeyMindy FYI

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina