• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Capri for a day?

Christian

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Someone I know told me that a day trip from Naples to Capri is not worth the "trouble", that Capri is better for a longer stay than for a day trip. OK, but I think the same can be said about many places, right?! So we're thinking of going anyway, if we have enough time.
My question is more about logistics. I understand there are three companies that run ferries from Naples to Capri. So we need to buy tickets in advance, or can we just show up on the day we want to go?

Wow, you're a 2019 contest winner, congrats!

I can't help you with your question, but I applaud your "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" attitude. We've been to Capri several times and one was a day trip, totally doable. Go for it!

The one day trip was in the spring and I know we didn't buy any advance tickets, and it was 4 of us, but that was from Positano.

Depending on your travel interests, might suggest Ischia as an alternative to Capri -- can stroll at leisure through the sights as opposed to being surrounded by people and souvenir shops in Capri (will note up front that the older I get, the less I enjoy crowds and confusion -- who would have thought??). Last time we went to Ischia was in an April and bought tickets at the dock.

I've been to Capri for a day trip. Left Sorrento by ferry in the morning, enjoyed lunch, walked the paths down to the grotto. Anacapri was enjoyable. We were there in late May, so I think buying tickets in advance is a matter of high season or not. We didn't decide to go until that morning, and got tickets without any issues. Same with taking the ferry from Sorrento to Positano. But, that was around 2006, and things may have changed since then.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina