• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car Rental - Fiat 500

Pauline

Forums Admin
I booked our car rental for Sicily and ended up with a Fiat 500 automatic. We always rent a "compact" but this car is a "mini" - one size smaller. When I see any of them driving around here, I think - too small!!

Is this too small? It will be just me and Steve, but (as Chris reminded me) I don't always fit into small cars. I am not that tall (5'10") but my legs are long. We will have two 24" suitcases. I thought one in the trunk, one on the back seat.

But, I think I am talking myself into getting our usual compact size instead. We will be doing a lot of driving over our 10 day trip.

My mother and I tooled around Tuscany for 2 weeks once in a Fiat 500 sport model, stick shift. I'm 5'5, Mom's 5'6; between us, we had 2 mid sized suitcases + 2 carry on bags. We only carried those in the car on the way too/fro our rental home, but there was plenty of room for us and the luggage.

I did all the driving and absolutely loved that car. I want one! Lol

Our neighbours Nick & Kate (the Lower Street/Ostuni neighbours) hired one recently. They'd been hesitating, because Nick is tall (plenty taller than you, Pauline), but it was absolutely fine.

There's an Abarth 500 (the sporty engine one) in the hotel car park here at Pertisau. I want one!

Pauline, I have also rented the new Fiat 500 (complete with the sunroof, just like in the George Clooney ad!) It really was fine, and I am 5'9"! I would not want to try to fit 4 tall adults in it, but with 2 people and luggage I am sure it will be fine!

I rented one a few months back and was pleasantly surprised at how roomy it was. Also, it felt very "solid" - I drove between Portland and Astoria, and it was steady on the freeway and smaller roads.

George Clooney must be taller than me! I will look for that ad. Thanks for all the comments - we will keep the Fiat 500 and I will report back. At least it should be easy to park.

I found a Fiat commercial with George Clooney and a sunroof, but that doesn't look like the Fiat 500! It looks like a Panda, the next size up.

The Fiat 500 is tiny. I am back to rethinking this.

I did try the older model out in Italy about 12 years ago.

fiat-500-002077.jpg

Anne, that was the same size that I had! Larger, Pauline, than the cute little one in your photo (I see those around Rome and they really are cute! but tiny)
Best,
Sandra

I think we are going to go up one size from mini to economy, which is a Fiat Punto. I know the 500 would be fine, but .... It's so small!

We've hired both, several times, and would always go for the 500. The Punto has more space, but always feels disappointingly underpowered. But we've grown up with small cars!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina