• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car rental quote

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I’ve generally used Auto Europe for car rentals in Italy, especially liking the all-inclusive rates and customer service. For this year’s trip, in September, I have found higher rates than usual; part of it may be that this quote is for 20 days; on previous trips, even if the whole trip was three weeks, the car rental was around two weeks.

On this trip, I decided to get a quote through Autoslash, which has worked well for me for U.S. rentals: they find discount codes that may be out there. They quoted a good rate redirecting to Priceline for a Hertz rental. It seemed to be an inclusive rate with a high deductible Collision Damage Waiver, but Priceline had a link to get separate coverage bringing it to zero deductible.

I’m holding that as a booking to be paid at the time of rental. I also got a quote from Auto Europe that was notably higher, and wrote to them for a possible price match or to see if they could tell me that something was missing from Priceline’s quote. What they sent me was slightly higher and they gave me some false premises: while the Priceline Hertz rate for the rental is in euros, the supplemental insurance rate is in U.S. dollars, and AE wrote as if it were in euros. Differently from past AE rentals, where there’s been no one-way drop-off charge even from Venice and Genoa to Rome, this has a charge to be paid locally (just around €11) for a one-way from central Rome to Fiumicino Airport. Priceline also quotes it as a line item, but includes it in their estimated total, which AE doesn’t acknowledge.

Leaving those price differences aside, AE says they can match the rate for “better insurance - the zero deductible they are quoting does not state that it also insures tires, glass, undercarriage and roof as well.” I can’t tell if they’ve really determined what’s covered; if anyone cares to look through the brochure from Allianz that shows on Priceline for the full coverage, see if there’s anything about excluding these parts.

I haven’t gotten valid replies to the follow-up questions I’ve asked, so I’m having trouble seeing if there’s a point to using AE and prepaying, which I’d rather not do, for a main purpose of getting good customer service in case of problems during and after the rental; the last time I had problems with charges that came up at the end of a rental booked through them, their responses were not too good.

Did you just check it against Priceline or against Autoslash leading to Priceline? The key thing is that Autoslash finds discount codes: in my case, the Hertz confirmation says MasterCard World Elite, but there's no indication of whether such a card needs to be used for the rental. I have such a card, but would rather use a Visa.

I am paying big time for this Sept. because I pick up in Zurich and leave off in Florence. Auto Europe is slightly better because their CDW is better than SIXT.

On receipt of an email today, I find an Auto Europe quote for our September dates that has gone down notably.

My initial rate from Expedia (Sixt) is still lower than Auto Europe. This is mainly because of the higher no deductible CDW.

Have you tried using Auto Europe and changing your location to Italy? If you can't read Italian, try changing it to Ireland. For a recent rental, the US site was going to cost me 2-3 times what the italian site was going to cost me. And the Italian site had far more options of agencies and cars within agencies.

Also, be careful with renting from Roma Termini from Dollar/Hertz/Thrifty. They are all the same company and only have a single desk that normally only has 2 people working it, sometimes 3. I recently got my number and was 29th in line and had to wait for 1.5 hours. Europcar had 1 person in line. Some had none. Most had 6-7. While waiting, I was speaking with a local who said the week before he had to wait over 2 hours in line at the dollar/hertz/thrifty desk! And that is just the wait! Then the process takes 10-15 minutes to finish. You have to walk 5-10 minutes to get the parking garage. Then you might have to wait another 5-10 minutes in the garage for someone there to help you get your car. What a disaster.

Personally, I prefer renting from the locations on Via Sardegna!

Tony-thanks. Will try other options you suggested. Because I pick up in Zurich & leave in Florence, I am hit with huge drop-off fee. Auto Europe also charges a lot more for no deductible CDW.

Tony, thanks for that heads up about Roma Termini. That's where I had planned to pick up my rental from Hertz. I'll give Via Sardegna a look now. Much appreciated. Also going to check out the Italian AE site...great tips. Thanks.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina