• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Carrara quarry tours

Victoria

10+ Posts
I'm looking into the Carrara quarry tours and am wondering if anyone's done them and if so, what you thought of them. Of course, recommended tour operator experiences are welcome. Also, what would be the easiest way (short of renting a car) to get from Florence to Carrara and back?

We drove ourselves to one of the quarries above carrera. It was a bit of an adventure since signage is not that great. We took a jeep tour and it was quite a ride up to the active part of the quarry. Windy roads of crushed marble with no guardrails and cliffs. WE had an added adventure as half way up the back hatch door of the jeep flung open. We all laugh about it NOW. They explained the quarrying process and it was interesting to see how big the marble walls are. Here is a picture. You can get scale by comparing the machinery to the marble walls.
DSCN0251.jpg
DSCN0253.jpg
DSCN0251.jpg

Thank you Jan and Penn251! Tau Touring is who I had contacted already about the tour. They seem to come highly recommended. Great photos!! This looks like an exciting day trip -- we may have to rent a car for the day to do it.

If driving from Florence to Carrara, your route will take you past the vicinity of Sant'Anna di Stazzema. The road to the memorial site is steep and winding, but wonderful views along the way and possibly one of the most emotionally evocative spots in Tuscany once you reach the village.

A couple of years ago I took a small group from Lucca to the quarries. I hired a driver and did not take a tour. You can see quite a bit from the quarry roads and the views are breathtaking, but you cannot actually go down into the quarries without being part of an authorized group. There are several tours offered online and I would book directly through the one that suits your needs best. Some will pick you up at the train station for an additional fee. Coming from Florence I doubt you'll have time, but I also recommend a visit to Pietrasanta on the way. This year I am taking my group again, but I am planning on booking a Jeep tour this time.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina