• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cell Phone Options In Italy

TerryItalyfan

10+ Posts
I was wondering what to do about using our cell phone in Italy

We usually buy an Italian SIM for an unlocked cell phone, but were wondering
if getting an international plan is best, since our new phones are not unlocked.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I use my Sprint international plan on my iPhone in Italy...$25/week. Works like a charm with great coverage.

Not sure who your phone service is with but I can tell you from experience that AT&T is not cheap. I bought a Google Project Fi phone for travel and have saved a lot of money with it. I understand that T-Mobile has a very good international plan.

Hello folks- piggybacking off of the OT (but still relevant), if the phone is unlocked, does anyone have a recommendation for finding a helpful assistant for installing a SIM card in italy? At the Airport is there a shop with helpful english-speakers? I can speak a bit of italian, but for technical stuff I may be outmatched.

Last edited:
Which airport? At Rome Fiumicino, there's a TIM shop in the Terminal 3 arrivals hall; I expect they'd speak English.

Vodafone, currently has a plan called: c'All Global. For 10 euros a month, you get 500 minutes a month to any Italian phone number, 300 minutes a month to numerous other countries (about 30 in total and including the US & Canada), unlimited calling to any vodafone user, 8Gb of data, plus unlimited data for VoIP calls!!! The downside is that each text is something like 29 cents and each text to a foreign country is maybe 50 cents! However, for an extra 2 euros a month, you can add what is called "Vodafone PLus con SMS". This gives you unlimited SMS, voicemail, plus a few other services.

Andrew- Great! Yes, in the airport in Roma, I would guess that they could speak at least a little bit.

Tony- That's pretty good. I'm going to have to look into that. 8Gb should be more than enough

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina