• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Chamonix

Byee

Hi, I’m new to this forum. Planning to go to Chamonix for a couple days, primarily to go to Aiguille du mini for second time. Got altitude sickness first time so going prepared this time. Prescription from doctor to get me to restaurant on top. I am looking for hotel that is close to entrance, my companion has some difficulty walking all day. I have been looking on internet and reviews really don’t tell you a lot about distances. We will be catching bus from Geveva to Chamonix and back to Geneva. I know they have a shuttle from bus station that drops you off around Chamonix and assume it goes to entrance of Aiguille du midi. Would appreciate names of hotels close by, preferably 4 star and with breakfast. Thanking you in advance.

I went in 2021, second time I went to Chamonix, first time I didn't go up because the weather wasn't clear.

There are more choices of hotels in the center of town, across the river, as well as more restaurants nearby.

Not knowing your budget, I see Heliopic Hotel & Spa. Others are more clustered around the river.

I would check Booking.com. They have a map view which shows where the lodgings are located.

I believe if you stay enough days, they will give you a local bus pass but that may be only certain times of the year. So even if you're some distance away, you can get a bus or worst case a short taxi ride. I just walked it, was a nice clear day, was about 800 meters or half a mile.

I stayed for 4 or 5 nights in the summer so I got a summer pass which included Aiguille du Midi and some other cable cars and trains such as Montenvers, which got you up to the glacier. I did have a car though.

But my first time, was in January a few years earlier. You can take the train Argentiere (Grands Montets).

Thank you for your msg. I did look at Heliopolis Hotel but could not determine how close/far it was to Aiguille du midi. I’m not familiar with google maps and my computer skills are minimal.

Click this link.

That is Chamonix. That will show a river running through are area. Main town area is around the NE part of that map. Aiguille du Midi is south of the river, will see a red dotted line extending towards the SE.

Here is a screenshot.

The red or pink icons showing a little bed are hotels. You can see that very near Compagnie du Mont Blanc, you see the little red or pink icon for Heliopic Hotel & Spa.

If you click on one of these pink hotel icons, you see on the left that it shows some sample prices, for dates now. But it lists some hotel search engines where you can enter your dates that you want to visit and number of people and it should display prices for those dates, whether breakfast is included, cancellation policies.

You can click on other pink hotel icons and compare what those prices look like.

If you look at the + and - icons at the bottle left of these screens, these let you zoom in and out of the map. As you zoom in more by pressing the + you will see more detail, including more hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

Also you can move the whole map around, center it on a different spot so you see more details further north, west, south or east. You do that by holding down the mouse clicker and dragging it in different directions.

The fourth screen shot shows the map zoomed in and dragged down so you see more detail north of Aiguille du Midi, including more on the north side of the river.

You have to experiment around with it a little, clicking the zoom in or out (+ or -) buttons, clicking on the different icons which will contain information about the hotel or restaurant or the attractions (there are also reviews you can see for these places).

It's VERY USEFUL for travel planning and research.

More importantly, it gives you a way to book hotels online usually in a secure way so the you can use your credit card. It's not like the old days when you have to fax information or wire money as deposit to make reservations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.12.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.12.18 AM.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.15.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.15.02 AM.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.20.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.20.21 AM.png
    363.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.20.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.20.54 AM.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 10
Click those icons below, to see the screen shots of the maps. They are as I descried in the text from left to right, the first to the fourth screen shot.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina