• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Changing planes at Heathrow??

Callie

10+ Posts
We're heading off to Scotland and London next year and I am struggling with flights. The "best" so far to get from Boston to Edinburgh requires a change of planes at Heathrow. The layover is 2 hours 20 minutes. Is that enough time?

Will we go through passport control and customs at Heathrow, or in Edinburgh? I'm thinking likely Heathrow and it could take a while. Of course, the next choice is a 6 hour layover - UGH.

What do you think?

Callie

There's lots of information here.

Are you having to change terminals at Heathrow?

Are you booking a through ticket from Boston to Edinburgh?

You will have to go through Immigration and security at Heathrow.

Eleanor,

That's a great web site. They say it should take 75 minutes and we have 2 hrs. 20 min. - presuming all goes well.

Yes, we have to get from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2. And yes, we are booking a through ticket.

I can't bear the thought of hanging out for 6 hours if I don't have to, so I'm going for the 2 hr. + connection.

Thanks,
Callie

It never ceases to amaze me what you can find on the web.

Having a through ticket makes everything so much easier as you will pick up your bags at Edinburgh.

I've not done the transfer from Terminal 3 to 2, but hopefully there will be someone else who has.

I don't know if it makes any sense for you, but Norwegian has non-stops from Providence to Edinburgh. Their site shows it Monday and Friday through March 2018; I don't know if they're just not taking bookings yet for later, or won't continue the service. They're no-frills and would have added charges.

A non stop is tempting, but Providence isn't really workable for us. But I will check out other places they fly.

Thanks.

My wife and I have to change terminals (Terminal 3 to Terminal 5) at Heathrow this fall. We have been through Heathrow, but this flight is a little different than our past travels. I am using American Airlines frequent flyer miles to and from Europe, but a separate one way ticket LHR to Basel on British Airways. I am assuming since the tickets are not linked, when I check in at the US airport our bags will only be sent to LHR. Then we will have to pick up backs at Terminal 3 before transporting the bags and ourselves to Terminal 5. Then we will have to do a full check in with BA in Terminal 5, and of course clear security. We have a little over 4 hours to accomplish this so I do not think… time is a factor. Does anybody know or have done this type of transfer before? Are my assumptions correct? Thanks in advance.

Yes, no through checking of bags, but I think on separately ticketed trips in the oneworld alliance you are protected in case of a missed connection. At this page on the Heathrow site, for travel between terminals landside, they say "Heathrow Express trains are free for travel between Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 & 3) and Terminal 5. There's a train every 15 minutes."

Thanks Andrew for confirming my suspicions. I will defitely check out the links as we get closer to departure.

:):)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina