• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Chateaux of The Loire

Sharon J

100+ Posts
We will be staying at La Havre next September. This is a new area for us to explore. We will be driving up from Beynac, where we have stayed before. Sorry, guess my title should have been Chateaux in The Loire.

My question is for recommendations for Chateaux in the Loire to visit. We will be staying in the region for 5 nights. We absolutely want to see the Chenoneau over the River Cher. There are so many, what are your favorites? After much research, it's a bit overwhelming, since there are so many, and our time is limited. If some of you are not acquainted with the cottage, La Havre, it's near Tours. I know Karen and Craig will help us out, but wanted to get a head start. Also, I could purchase one of the guide books from Amazon, but that is also a bit overwhelming.

Does each Chateaux have it's own entrance fee, or is there a cost saving pass you can purchase ahead of time, that covers several or all? Thanks for any advice you can give.

You could start here, Sharon -- https://www.francetoday.com/travel/travel-features/the-chateaux-of-the-loire-a-royal-river/. We've spent several weeks with Karen and Craig over the years, and you really have a treat in store -- we were first there about 20 years ago! In addition to Chenonceau, a couple of our favorites are Villandry with its wonderful gardens, Cheverny with its kennels and dogs (now, why would I think that might appeal to you too?;)), and of course Azay-le-Rideau. And there's a wonderful Sunday market in Amboise that's not to be missed. Plus Blois is great for its history, and its restaurants. Feel free to contact me anytime. With much aloha, Ann
PS We'll be in La Roque-Gageac for 2 1/2 weeks in May.

Thanks Ann, I was hoping you would respond. I have printed out your information. We took a year off from travel, as I had my hip replaced last August, and I wasn't sure how well I would be walking. As it turned out, the hip was very easy, especially after the knee replacement I had the year before. So, it's France the beginning of September, and back to Sant'Antonio the following June. Just can't seem to stay away from his wonderful property. We are looking forward to another wonderful lunch at your highly recommended LaBelle Etoile in La Roque-Gageac. Hope you'll post a trip report upon your return.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina