• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Chip And PIN Credit Cards

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We've gotten our new (U.S. based) credit cards with the embedded chip, but of course we don't have to use a PIN here in the states. Will we need a PIN to use the cards in Europe? I called Citibank and they told me our card does not have a PIN. Period. I haven't yet spoken with Capital One, but I wondered if any of you have used your 'new' credit cards in Europe yet, and if you needed a PIN.

Last edited:
I used my 'chip' card in the UK and in France last summer. My experience was that it worked for transactions handled by a person. The card readers printed out a receipt for me to sign. This sometimes surprised people who hadn't seen our pinless cards. I couldn't use it for automated purchases like ticket booths.

We have used our chip and signature credit cards in Europe for several years now. My first credit card with a chip came with a PIN. But as I understand it, the PIN is for a cash advance so I don't use it. In fact, I don't know (or have) that PIN anymore.

Our debit cards also have a chip, and of course, a PIN. We have only used it to withdraw cash from ATMs. Now I am curious if it will work in any of the unattended machines.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina