• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cleaning a Vacation Rental

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
How well do you clean your vacation rental prior to leaving it? I wash the dishes and empty the trash. I don't clean the fridge, wash the floors etc.
Recently, I received a shocking review after I vacated an Airbnb. I was accused of not cleaning the apartment. I was under the impression this was the "host's " responsibility. I wouldn't want to rent a place if the expectation was that I leave it clean for the next renters.
Anyway, how much cleaning do you do?

I do the same as you. I also move back any furniture I moved. There should always be a cleaning done between renters. And if there isn’t, this should be clear in the listing and the rental agreement.

Can you talk to AirBnB to put in a response?

Thanks, Pauline for your quick response. We were pretty shocked by the review as we pride ourselves on leaving our rentals clean and tidy. To a point. As we cook and eat in, we're careful about the dishes, stove and counters. But certainly don't do a thorough clean.
It's a vacation!
I replied to the owners. But their comments will stand.
I'm curious what their previous renters have done. I will go back and read other comments. We were mortified by the review.

We always stay in self catering which we book through Gites de France. There is always an optional cleaning fee which you can pay if you choose . Because we travel for ten weeks at a time and travel on what most would consider a tight budget, we do not pay the fee. Paying an extra 40 - 60 euro a week for cleaning adds a lot to our costs. I would rather spend it on something else.
So we do clean. We move anything back that we have moved. I often put unnecessary bowls, vases, knick knacks away when we arrive to allow more bench space and to avoid breakages. I am not a fan of clutter. We leave the kitchen clean and tidy, empty the rubbish, wipe down the stove top. My lovely husband wipes out the oven if we have used it - usually for duck magret!!! We vacuum, and if there has been rain and the floor is marked, we will mop it. I wipe down the shower and wash basin, and brush the toilet.
All this is dependent on what supplies the owners have left. Some are good and some leave very little. So if that is the case, they cannot expect miracles.
I too am of the opinion that there should be a clean after renters have left, but I suppose you can never be sure that this happens. I will say we have left a trail of ovens that were cleaner than when we arrived!!!! The rentals we have had have always been clean and we have not had any concerns.

We follow the same course as Pauline. I'm almost positive that every rental we have ever stayed in had a mandatory cleaning charge that we knew about up front (and figured into the total price). Before we leave, we tidy up, do the dishes, and dump the trash. We leave the rentals as we found them or cleaner, save for the linens.

Do you clean toilet and sink and wash the floors?
I also think most rentals include a mandatory cleaning fee so I don't think it's my responsibility to leave it as clean as I originally found it. I assume cleaners or owners do a more thorough cleaning in preparation for next renters.
This was an Airbnb so usually includes a cleaning fee. For some reason, I can't locate the rental on the Airbnb site to see if a cleaning fee was in included in the price. I just assumed it was as that has been the case in every other rental.

Perhaps GDF is different in this regard, because the cleaning fee is optional. We have used them exclusively on our last three trips. Prior to that we had used other sites eg abritel, Owners Direct, French Connections and we did have an occasional optional fee. But we have always done what we do, and we have spent 56 weeks in holiday rentals in France. We have never used Airbnb.
I suppose the original premise of GDF was to make holidays affordable for the French after the war. So things like cleaning, provision of linen, towels, kitchen towels etc was optional as well to allow people to provide those things themselves. I also strip the bed before we leave.
For me, too, the cost of the rental may be a factor. We are budget travellers and the gites we stay in are relatively inexpensive compared to what others pay for a week. If I was paying a higher price, I would certainly expect cleaning to be included in the cost. But I still expect the owners/caretakers to clean after we have gone. And we have often arrived to damp floors and a fresh smelling bathroom, so most are.

I/we empty the garbage and the recycling.
I sweep the floors if there is a decent broom.
I strip the bed(s) and pile the linens and used towels in a neat pile near the door.
All the dishes are done, and the counters and stove-top wiped down, and sink rinsed.
Rinse out the shower and BR sink.
Leave the washing machine door open to air out.
If there are no decent cleaning materials, then ,sorry, can't do too much.
I/we do all this even if there is a cleaning fee.
I do what I what like done in own neat and clean home.

We don't dust, vacuum, do laundry other than our own clothes, clean toilets or showers. IMO that's why I pay a cleaning fee. Landlords must agree with me because we have always had our caution money returned.

Interesting topic. I realize this is another case of me thinking my experience is that of everyone else. However, it's clear that other travelers have a variety of experiences I hadn't contemplated.

Last edited:
Since we stay in our rentals for weeks, weekly cleaning is either included or we pay for it. We make our bed every morning, do dishes after each meal, take care of the trash/recycling as needed but only sweep/vacuum the floor if we spill something. We leave our rental neat but definitely would need cleaning.

Do you clean toilet and sink and wash the floors?

I give the toilet a brush but not a scrub. I don’t sweep the floors. If there is a dishwasher we may leave it running when we leave. I throw out leftover things in the fridge. I never sweep. I don’t strip the beds either but I do pile the towels.

I have seen listings where the cleaning fee is optional as @phirhon mentioned. This always confuses me. Is there no other cleaning done?

That is an interesting point, Pauline. The gites we have stayed in have always been clean with no dust or dirty floors, clean toilet and shower, clean kitchen. I have read stories on other forums about rentals not being clean, but that has never happened to us thank goodness.
Because we spend at least a week and sometimes two in one gite I do sweep or run the vacuum around during our stay. The same applies in the bathroom with the wash basin. I wipe it over every couple of days. And because we cook every day, I like to keep the kitchen clean. I suppose it is just habit - what we do at home.
It is an interesting discussion.

Interesting replies. I've never had negative feedback until this review. Aside from upsetting me, it got me wondering what others do.
This rental was 11 days through Airbnb.
We were given 2 towels of same pattern for the entire time. That is 1towel each. No hand towels. 2 small dish towels. There was 1 threadbare mop that I used once during my stay. I understand about gites but this was not one. I didn't notice much in the way of cleaning supplies.
I'm surprised at how extensively some of you clean. I understand wanting to keep a place clean and tidy during your stay. But prior to leaving? Especially if a cleaning fee is in incuded.

When self-catering we pretty much do what SMJ does. But our stays generally run into months rather than just a week. In the latter case I'd do basic cleaning: wash dishes, wipe down kitchen surfaces, empty rubbish, sweep floors. On our last rental, we'd been in for almost 3 months and then because of a double booking moved next door for our final week. We did a massively thorough clean of the original house: doing laundry, moving furniture, lifting rugs and beating them, the works. Then wondered why we bothered as the landlady's cleaning team spent two afternoons thoroughly cleaning the already clean house! (there was an end-of-stay cleaning fee, 50 euros iirc). So on moving out of the second house we only did the basics. I'd feel bad not leaving the place clean and tidy to be honest, even when I know it will be cleaned for the next guest.

I’ve always rented places which include a final cleaning fee. And many times, as we’ve stayed for several weeks to a month, we pay additional for a weekly cleaning. Upon vacating, we always empty the trash and recycling, wash and put dishes away, wipe down counters and empty the fridge. The stove is always clean, as we wipe that down after every use. But I don’t sweep, mop or vacuum, or clean the bathroom, other than wiping down the sink and making sure there is no hair in the shower.

How well do you clean your vacation rental prior to leaving it? I wash the dishes and empty the trash. I don't clean the fridge, wash the floors etc.
Recently, I received a shocking review after I vacated an Airbnb. I was accused of not cleaning the apartment. I was under the impression this was the "host's " responsibility. I wouldn't want to rent a place if the expectation was that I leave it clean for the next renters.
Anyway, how much cleaning do you do?
Lisa, I’m sorry this happened to you. I would be shocked too! And mad.

Lisa, it seems like you do the same level of cleaning upon leaving that many of us do. This was an unfair review from your Airbnb host! What country was it in?

This may sound paranoid, but I take photos of each room as we are leaving. One time on the old ST site someone was fined by a vacation rental company because they left the place a mess. I heard the story from both sides - the renter said they had not left it in bad shape, the agency said that a horrible mess was left.

I find host a funny word with Airbnb as you may never see the person you are renting from or only 1x when they let you in . Hardly what I think of as a host. I think in this case there was mis communication. I was shown a hall closet with a vaccuum cleaner and I wondered why as I hate vacuuming and sweep instead. I'm chalking this up to a misunderstanding re:expectations. I will look more closely at the contract in future to see what is included. I have gotten lax on that front.
This rental was in Nice with a so called super host. It was a pretty basic apartment. We actually bought a hand towel and facecloth. Having 2 identical bath towels was a pain. Actually they were beach towels.
This was in a hip area frequented by young people. I can't imagine previous renters over from the Uk for a fun weekend cleaning it better than we did.

Landlords and rental managers have different requirements regarding cleaning.
1. Before I sign the contract, and also when I arrive at the check-in, I always specify I want to pay the "last-day cleaning" fee. Sometimes I am told the last-day cleaning is included in the rent. Other times the fee is separate.
2. Even when I pay that fee, I understand I must wash all the dishes and pots and pans before checking out.
3. I always wipe down the counters. I would not call that real cleaning.
4. I always follow the landlor / rental manager's instructions on how and where to take out all the garbage.
5. I don't do any other cleaning and have not had any complaint.

We do pretty much what others here have commented...basic cleaning, but nothing in depth. We do strip the beds and gather all the towels in one place. We are always careful to read the property manual to see what is requested upon departure. Usually it includes running the dishwasher and taking out the trash and returning furniture to its original place. We have always received favorable reviews on Airbnb, so I figure we must be the norm.
I would feel the same way you do, Lisa...shocked!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina