• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Croatia, May 2018

Doug Phillips

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Hi guys,

I have the opportunity of visiting Croatia in May 2018 - 1 week based in Trogir.
Anybody have any opinions/experience/recommendations on Croatia?

Doug

Trogir is a nice little town, but I would get pretty bored there with a whole week. You can visit Split and a couple of the islands though... there is a little ferryboat called Bura Lines that can take you into Split and back (or you can take a bus.) I think you have to take a catamaran from Split to get to any of the islands.

Hvar Island is wonderful, if you could manage I would spend a night out there or even two. Between Trogir, Hvar and Split you could definitely fill a week.

Hi Doug, As I write this comment, I am sitting in our apartment in Split. We are here for 28 nights. When we flew into Split, we stayed one night in a hotel in Trogir before traveling to the Split apartment. Trogir is beautiful but it pretty small. It is a 30 min taxi ride from Trogir to Split. We have found plenty to entertain ourselves in Split, even in the low season of January. Yesterday we took a walking tour of Diocletian Palace that was very educational and interesting. We walked to the top of Marjan Hill for views of the Adriatic and to see the hermitage caves. We shop the Green Market that is open every day. Next week we plan to take a guided tour to KRKA National Park with http://www.krka-tour-split.com - recommended by our apartment host. The tour leaves from Trogir as well for 440 KN. The Ivan Meštrović Gallery, an art museum in Split, Croatia dedicated to the work of the 20th-century sculptor, Ivan Meštrović is very impressive. Unfortunately, this time of year ferry service is limited so we will not be traveling to the island of Hvar which it highly recommended if that will work for you in May. In May, you will have more transportation options with the ferries and beaches will be inviting. I would recommend the white-pebble beach Zlatni Rat (Golden Cape) on the Island of Brač. We have learned (but do not have direct experience) to stay clear of using the trains, buses can be unreliable, and that UBER is a good option. Croatians have been wonderful to us - kind, generous, and hospitable. Speaking English is very acceptable.

We stayed in a small apartment on the little island of Ciovo-- adjacent to Trogir and connected by a bridge. We were there for five nights in too-busy early-August, some years ago... maybe 2009 or 2010. We used it as a base to explore that part of Croatia. We did a day trip to Split by ferry and also went to the Krka National Park. This was at the very end of an entire summer in Europe, so we were pretty laid back at that point. We had stayed seven nights in an apartment above Dubrovnik before going to Trogir.

I remember liking Trogir very much. The time of year we went was incredibly crowded, but I'm sure you'd find something different in May. (We were there in early August because it was the only time we could go.) There were good places to eat in Trogir and the people were very welcoming to us.

I really wished we had gone to Hvar... but we were pretty focused on staying in apartments and not moving around so much at that point in our summer.

Kathy

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina