• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Day Trip to Lucca from Montepulciano

Sharon J

100+ Posts
We will be staying at the lovely Sant'Antonio near Montepulciano again in May. We have stayed in this area often, and really want to slow way down this trip, not venturing too far from the property. We would like to make a day trip to Lucca, a town we have never visited and have been given three recommendations for lunch. Any feedback would be appreciated. La Buca di Sant'Antonio (are reservations required for lunch?) Trattoria Da'Leo and Da'Giulio.

I'm assuming we should get an early start from Montepulciano for our visit? I was also told that there is parking inside the wall. That would be nice, as I'm having hip replacement soon after our trip, so my walking is a bit more limited this trip.

I appreciate all and any advise you can give me regarding our visit.

There is a good map of Lucca on the city's web site that highlights the ZTLs (be sure you know about them before driving anywhere in Italy) as well as the parking lots.

Go to this page of the Lucca web site and click on the pdf "planimetria" to get the map: http://www.comune.lucca.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/246
Thanks Ellen. I'm all set in that department, but would like some personal information regarding the town. Other than the usual points of interest, is there anything special we should check out? I don't even want to mess with the ZTL's, as it is usually too much bother trying to work around them. We will just park outside the wall. Lucca is one of the few cities we have not ventured into over the years, so we are really looking forward to it.

Sharon, there's a large underground parking lot inside the walls that's easy to get to. Enter through Porta Elisa and make and immediate right onto the road that runs along the wall just inside (via Bacchettone). The lot is about 2 blocks down on the left. It's a bit of a walk over the the center of town but it's flat. If you walk back to Porta Elisa, turn right and continue straight on Via Elisa into the heart of things you'll pass 2 good restaurants on the right, Antica Drogheria (pizza, pasta, etc., casual) and Gli Orti right next door, a little fancier, still very good. Cross da Leo off your list, it's gone down hill a lot over the last several years. Buca de San Antonio is still great. You probably don't need reservations there but I'd call ahead just in case. I think they're closed Tuesdays. There's a fabulous chocolate shop called Chocolate on Via Cenami n 1, just off piazza San Michele. We just love Lucca, my husband's grandfather was born there so we go back whenever we can and visit with lots of cousins still there. Hope you like it!

ncp....Thank you for this terrific information. I have crossed da Leo off of our list. The parking info is particularly helpful. Your text is printed and added to my folder.

At the west end of Lucca there are a limited number of parking spaces @ 1.50 Euros per hour within the walls near the bus station and information office, enter through Porta Vittorio Emmanuele/Sant' Anna. From there it's a few blocks walk to Piazza San Michele (on via S. Paolo) or Piazza Napoleone (on via Vittorio Emmanuele). There were spaces available on April week-days. Alternatively, the large Palatucci lot (with separate areas for cars and tour buses) between viale Carlo del Prete and via delle tagliata Sant' Anna costs 1 Euro per hour (maximum 6 Euros for 24 hours). Both are pay and display, coins only. For longer stays, there is a smaller, unpaved free lot just across the street from the far end of the Palatucci lot, sandwiched between the stadium and the cemetery; enter from via delle tagliata S. Anna. The closest gate to these for pedestrians is Porta San Donato (vehicle access is only for residents displaying a sticker; non-authorized vehicles risk a big fine.)

Last edited:
At the west end of Lucca there are a limited number of parking spaces @ 1.50 Euros per hour within the walls near the bus station and information office, enter through Porta Vittorio Emmanuele/Sant' Anna. From there it's a few blocks walk to Piazza San Michele (on via S. Paolo) or Piazza Napoleone (on via Vittorio Emmanuele). There were spaces available on April week-days. Alternatively, the large Palatucci lot (with separate areas for cars and tour buses) between viale Carlo del Prete and via delle tagliata Sant' Anna costs 1 Euro per hour (maximum 6 Euros for 24 hours). Both are pay and display, coins only. For longer stays, there is a smaller, unpaved free lot just across the street from the far end of the Palatucci lot, sandwiched between the stadium and the cemetery; enter from via delle tagliata S. Anna. The closest gate to these for pedestrians is Porta San Donato (vehicle access is only for residents displaying a sticker; non-authorized vehicles risk a big fine.)

Thank you very much for the great information. We are very much looking forward to visiting Lucca.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina