• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Daytrip From Verona

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be stopping in Verona for 2 nights this summer, on our way from Umbria to Slovenia. We chose Verona as our stopover just so we could see an opera in the Roman Arena. I'm guessing the city will be crowded because it'll be summer AND opera season, and since we've been to Verona before, a daytrip is a possibility. Because we'll have a car we thought we'd make a daytrip to Lake Garda, but now we're reconsidering. Art will be the sole driver on this trip and I thought he might really enjoy having the day off by taking the train somewhere nearby. Any suggestions?

You could still go to Lake Garda by train. One year on our way from Milan to Venice by train, we stopped overnight in Peschiera del Garda, at the southern end of the lake. It was a sleepy town - at the end of the summer season, anyway - but ran ferries to Sirmione and other lake towns.

You may have been there, but if not, I think Vicenza would be a natural choice, and it's a short train trip away from Verona.

thanks for your replies. Yes, we may still visit the lake via train, but I just wanted to see what other possibilities there were. Vicenza sounds like it's worth looking into, so I'll do more research. The best thing about this part of the trip is that we can wait til the very last minute to decide, and having multiple options will only make it more interesting!

In addition to these very good suggestions, I would add Trento, north of Garda--an interesting provincial city that really feels different, Brescia to the west which has one of the great art and archaeology museums as well as a nice compact centro or Mantova, to the south, which is lovely although in the summer, it can be very hot and humid.

We spent just part of a day in Vicenza a few years ago, but wished we'd had longer as we really liked the city. The main thing we did in Vincenza was to tour the Teatro Olimpico, which is really fabulous. A ticket to the Teatro also gets you into the Archeological Museum.

The reason we couldn't stay longer in Vicenza was that we wanted to see the nearby Villa Rotonda, which is definitely worth a visit too. But I don't believe you could easily do that by train. If you do want to go to any of the Palladian villas, check their schedule carefully, as they are open very limited hours.

Thank you! Vicenza is looking more and more like our first choice, but I love having options! Roz, we hope to visit the Palladio villa outside of Asolo at the end of our stay, a few weeks after Verona. Jim, anyplace with worthwhile archaeological museums pique my interest!

Do research Trento as well. I've been to it and to Vicenza, and enjoyed each.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina