• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Deciphering transport passes in London

SMJ

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Hello:
I wonder if one of you who lives in, or goes to London a lot could please help me?
I've been to London many times, but not for 7 years.
Just need to know what the best transport pass would be for a four day visit.
I'd be arriving at Heathrow, staying near Euston/Kings Cross area, and taking the tube and bus around central London.
I would have one return day trip to Shepperton to see cousins.
Leaving for Scotland by train after the four days.
I only need the pass for transport, not for entries to the major tourist sites.
Do you think the Oyster card is the best?
I can't figure out from the transport website if it would cover the rail trip to Shepperton.
I think not, if I recall my last trip.
Thanks so much!

Hi SMJ
Oyster card is massively cheaper than buying individual, daily etc. tickets, but if you have a contactless debit/credit card, these can be used for exactly in the same way and for exactly the same prices. Swipe in at the gate (which opens when the card is recognised) and the same on the way out.

It calculates pricing automatically, so no worrying about zones, but also rather usefully recognises when it hits the equivalent daily amount and simply caps the charge at that (which is much cheaper than the equivalent 1 day travelcard) c. half the price IIRC.

So I'd recommend contactless if you can, but otherwise get an oyster card.

This map says it represents the oyster card zones, http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf
but Shepperton is marked off the left hand side of the map, so I'd read that as 'not covered', but ask at the ticket office of one of the mainline stations if you don't get a definitive answer here.

Regards
Ian

Thanks, Ian!
That's what I thought. I seem to remember I bought a separate ticket to Shepperton last visit.
Still have an Oyster Card around somewhere.

There is a question mark around the 4-day mark as to whether you might save a bit by putting a 7-day travel card for zones 1-2 on the Oyster, but I don't think there's much in it. Broadly speaking, the 7-day travel card breaks even at about 10 tube rides.

According to the Southern Railway website, Shepperton doesn't have Oyster facilities, so you'd need a separate rail ticket.

I'll just be needing the pass to get to my hotel from Heathrow; then I have only two full days , then the third morning I can walk to Kings' Cross.
Thanks Patrick.

In that case, £15 on the Oyster should do it if you don't have a contactless bank card.

Perfect!
I walk a lot when I'm in cities, so I'll just need to hop on a bus or Tube when my knees feel weary.
Thanks, chaps.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina