• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Delta/Air France code share and fee for advance seat assignment

flennie

10+ Posts
I've been looking at non-stop flights from LAX to Paris on Air France, and noticed that they charge $23 to $80 for advance seat assignment depending on the location of the seat. This is new to me since it's been a few years since I took Air France. This flight is also code-share with Delta which I believe doesn't charge for advance seat assignment. I say "I believe" because I wasn't charged any fees for seat reserved in advance on Delta flights to/from Vancouver, Canada. Does anyone know if Delta will charge fees for advance seat reservation on Air France code-share flights bought thru Delta?

We always fly Premium Economy on AF (from SFO) and did not have to pay for seat assignments. But it might be different for Economy. However, a few years ago, we could not get seat assignments until the last minute -- there was no option for payment. We got a runaround as to who was in charge of the seat assignments -- AF told us it was Delta, and Delta said it was AF. They assured us we had seats, but they could not tell us where.

When we finally got on the plane, they had totally screwed up the assignments so that Mike and I were in separate rows, and the same thing had happened to a lot of people. Everyone was trading seats around on the plane to get to sit with their travel companions. That was the only time we had that experience though --- the past couple of years we have been able to reserve seats at the time we booked.

I was just charged $100 per person to get assigned seats on British Airways going through American. We're flying business class on points so I think the fee is higher. They wanted $100 (more or less) for the trans oceanic portion and about $40 for the hop from Rome to London. They told me it was because American can't assign seats on British. Must be the new revenue collector after charging for bags.

I just booked round trip Minneapolis to Barcelona flights for winter 2018. I booked through Delta, but on our outbound transatlantic segment we have premium economy seats on Air France. We were not charged for seat assignments. We were not able to book seat assignments for our Paris to Barcelona legs, which will also be Air France flights. On our return, I decided to book Delta comfort economy instead of Air France premium economy seats because we had one less connection with that option. Of course, we were charged for the comfort economy seat selection.

We got a really cheap Air France economy fare, code share Delta) in September from Seattle to Frankfurt and back from Paris for $554, and did not have to pay for seat assignments. :) It might have helped that I happen to be a Club member and chose seats through the online process.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina